Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ride report on 2003 KTM 250 EXC 2 stroke.

I know this is the KDX forum but I was asked to compare the 2 bikes so I will. I rode a KDX 220 for just about 2 years. If you refuse to believe that there is much difference between the 2 bikes I suggest you stop reading now. The KDX is a great bike and I had a blast on it. The KTM is a race bike capable of tremendous speed if you are willing and able; it likes to go fast. I like to go fast too so that’s why I decided to try the KTM. I found that I was able to go fast with less effort today. I rode some ORV trail that was freshly groomed with less whoops in the sand than is normal for this riding area. It was fast trail that was wide enough for quads. We rode 70 miles of trail today. At first I found my self getting to the corners so fast I could barely slow down in time – that’s because of the wicked fast motor, believe me if you grab a handful you are going to fly! The bike has much better brakes than the KDX – they stop much better, don’t SQUEEK and the front takes a little getting used to because it grabs so well. Other things that I never knew I was fighting on the KDX are fork flex and frame flex. The KTM feels solid and the bike just floats below the rider with out the little wrestling match I recall on the KDX. You don’t know what you don’t know and the frame on the KDX is flexing and the forks wallow in turns compared to this machine. I kept thinking to myself that I felt that I was moving pretty fast but it just seemed like so much less work and the bike is laid out so that you can move around on it easer to transfer your weight. The handlebars are big and beefy but for me they were a little too wide stock and I’ll need to cut them down a little so I can squirt between the trees easier. The bike has a “big bike” feel to it, the cockpit is roomy and the bike is taller than the KDX from the hand grips to the ground. I was able to slide way up on the tank much farther than the KDX when needed which I thought came in handy on some corners and in the very tight trails. The suspension is not comparable to the KDX even in the highly modified state that my KDX was – this suspension combined with the rigidity of the bike just lets you hammer rugged terrain. I was going over whoops with less effort than I would at the same speed on the KDX and I hit a few spots on the trail that I thought would send a jolt through the handlebars but it really didn’t. The bike steers more with the rear wheel too making it easier to get on the tank and motor your way through tight twisty corners, I cannot do that with the KDX because of a lack of HP. I really like the KTM, it’s going to take me a little more time to fully adjust and get real comfortable on it but my overall impression is that it’s just plain easier to go fast on the KTM, it won’t beat you up as much and has as much motor as I think anyone would want. It’s really wicked fast and will pull the front tire in the air even when you are moving at break neck speeds, I found out that today too! I was on the pegs on a fast straight 2 track and I pinned the throttle and I was doing a wheelie standing on the pegs and hauling the mail! I would not recommend this bike if you are not an experienced rider because if you do not have a good throttle hand you are in for some interesting experiences. I really, really like the bike though

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yes. It's got good torque and can be ridden slower. Every once in a while I slowed down and just cruised at an easy pace. Breaking the motor in. I found I was shifting less because the motor can pull a gear longer and that can also be an advantage if you just wanna cruise. It's not a pipy bike, it has a big meaty midrange that pulls strong, then hits hard and revs way out.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Glad to hear you are liking yuour new ride Fred .. But did you have to make it sound that good? Maybe If I beg enough you might let me ride it at DW02? Come on fella whaddya say?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Fred, does the KTM work you harder getting it cranked over into low speed 1st/2nd gear corners? Maybe the A/R trip clamps help out here. The one ride I had on a 250 (was a 2000 model), it seemed like it took some beef to heel it into a turn.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Hi Mikeb,I see your in Memphis also.I am thinking about joining the MMC.How is the riding?I just got my 220 and will be ready to ride soon.I'm preping her now.Happy trails.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Jayhawk:
I think the bike steers pretty well. Must be the newer clamps. (Applied Racing 18 MM offeset) As soon as I cut an inch off the bars I'm going to tackle some tight trails next weekend. But I can tell that when I park my butt on the gas tank that I'll be able to zip through tight stuff just fine- seems to feel good.
Jaguar:
Yes the seat is firmer but makes it WAY easier to move around on the bike. My butt isn't sore today and it didn't bother me on the trails. I am surprised because I expected it to hurt. I do stand up a lot but I found myself sitting more on the EXC because it's easeir to ride. Less work to muscle the bike. The suspension didn't wear out my arms, in fact it may be the opposite. This bike works me less so I have more energy. But the trails were pretty smooth so I'll see on a rougher day. I didn't get any armpump at all.

cetris

May 8, 2001
Fred,
Sounds like your having a lot of fun with the new pumpkin. The level of detail that KTM builds into their bikes is pretty amazing. One of the few things that some KTM owners complain about is vibration. Do you notice much buzzzzing in the bars or the foot pegs?

Thanks.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The bike vibrates more than a KDX, but not enough to cause any trouble. The KDX has rubber mounted bars so it isolates any vibration from your hands. The Applied Racing clamps are very solid so you feel it more. My headlight switch pull knob did vibrate off. I'll have to keep an eye on tightening bolts more now.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Yea make sure ya take some tools with ya riding. i have seen numerous KTM's falling apart during the breakin time. I have three friends that ride them an none have had any issues after breakin and retightening things real good. I went riding a couple of months ago out in the desert with a couple of guys on KTM 400's. Some of the trails are two foot deep whoops for a mile or so. It was beating the crap out of me trying to keep up with the KTM. I thought they were just better riders till I tried one of their bikes, It literaly floated across the top of the whoops. I could go a lot faster with about 2/3 the effort, Amazing...

I will be joining you in the Orange world someday.
Have fun on your new ride.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
many of the comments on the main post are how I felt about going to a KDX250 1991 year from my XR600 and 87 Cr250. The perimeter frame is great! Stiff, easy to work on the top end and allows a big tank. When I ride, I dont feel really anything from the front end. Just the rear end working.

Have fun on that bike!

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Mikeb,the email I sent was undeliverable so I tried to PM you and it says your mailbox is full and you should clean out some old PMs to allow new messages.I will retry later.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Thanx Fred....but your killing me , just killing me. Great, now I really want one! But I tell ya, the CRF450 looks awfull good to this old guy.
Thanx again Fred.
Steve

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Fred T...

Sounds like you are having an absolute blast on the new bike, and that it was the right decision to switch. By the sounds of your posts, you are riding faster than ever, feel safer riding, and it's not as much work.

Now that you've had a few more weeks and many more miles on the saddle, is there anything you don't like about the KTM? And assuming that you still have the KDX around, what's it like when switching between the two? Is there anything about the KDX that you miss or like better?

Having the 2 available side-by-side would allow someone to switch back and forth and really amplify the differences between the two bikes. (Although I doubt you want to waste any riding time on the KDX now... ;) ) You are in a good position and have the right experience to do this.

You've posted a really good ride review, and it looks like some others have or are going to make the switch too. I'm not brand loyal, I just want the best bike that will make me ride faster, easier, and safer! :aj: (Only problem is that I get Jap bikes at cost, and I'd be paying retail for a KTM... :think: )

- Bill

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
What I miss:
1. First gear is lower on the KDX so it's easier to plonk along or go through the real gnarly stuff.
2. The seat height on the KDX is 1.25 inches lower so I'm more confident in the cornering and technical riding.
3. The KDX motor is silky smooth down low with the RB carb mod.
4. The KDX jetting was spot on and it didn't spooge

I will not post what I don't miss as I'm not into bike bashing. PM me if you want those details.
FT

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
For Sale: 1994 KDX with all the usual modifiactions.

Ok maybe it's n ot time yet but Fred, Fishhead, and a lot of other guys who I respect are sure heading that way. Maybe if Kawasaki actuall made an improvement to a bike that they basically haven't touched in 10 years; nah, they won't be messing with 2 strokes much longer :( :( :(

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Fred T
2. The seat height on the KDX is 1.25 inches lower so I'm more confident in the cornering and technical riding.
4. The KDX jetting was spot on and it didn't spooge

I will not post what I don't miss as I'm not into bike bashing. PM me if you want those details.

Is the seat height on the KTM so much higher because the foam couldn't be cut down as far as on the KDX? It appears that at least according to the factory specs, the KTM seat height is only about 3/16" higher (36.4" vs. 36.2").

As far as the spooge, I noticed that MWEISSEN's bike had a lot of blowout spooge around the pipe connector, but thought it was attributed to just a loose connection. I'm sure you'll get the jetting and spooge factor dialed in time.

As far as bike bashing, I think that some get a little too emotional about their brand, and like to bash other brands to make their brand seem better. I bet that most of those guys would have given their left gonad 5-10 years ago to have any of the current crop of bikes available today. A big part of the value this site offers is that you get a ton of advice and recommendations based on thousands of user experiences. I want to learn about the good, bad, and ugly, as long as it's presented with some amount of credibility and without undue bias. I think you've done that well, so shouldn't feel bad about posting your opinions.

The thing is, you don't know what you don't know. People may not know what they are missing, or how much better it could be. I had a similar experience a few years ago with snow skis. I had the traditionally shaped skies (no side cut), and skied great on them for years. Shaped skis (parabolics, big side cut) suddenly were all the rage. Made it a lot easier to learn with and carve. I stuck with my old standbys for a few more years, then tried shaped skis one day. I couldn't believe that I had waited so long to try them, and have never looked back. I was skiing harder, faster, and better with them - all with less effort. I didn't know what I was missing.

- Bill

Last edited:

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I will not post what I don't miss as I'm not into bike bashing.

Come on, we can take it :confused: You're saying you could feel flex in the 43mm KDX forks? What does that feel like?

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by jeffw

Come on, we can take it :confused: You're saying you could feel flex in the 43mm KDX forks? What does that feel like?

OK, OK! I just have a problem with people making the KDX owners feel like they have a POS. It's not, it's a great bike which was perfect for me to get back into riding on after 17 years off. Frame/fork flex feels like the bike is "moving around" more under you than a stiffer bike. It doesn't go exactly where you point it as it wriggles and deflects and you don't even know it's happening until it disappears. With out the flexing the bike is straight and true and requires less "correction" while riding through the mean stuff. I don't know what it is about the KDX in the whoops but it almost feels like it's too short to skip the tops of them like my KTM. Maybe it's the flexing that makes you feel like you're on the edge more. I felt like I was hauling a$$ on the KDX and at the same or maybe even faster speed on the KTM I feel like I'm dogging it and should be going faster, but that speed gets scary at my age! :scream: (I did try it once and I was amazed at how fast I was going in control but damn those corners come up fast and I almost missed making it.) I have blown a few corners lately just because of the speed I must be achieving. The motors just don't compare. I have so much motor now that I can haul up hills easier, rocket down straights in the trail - theres always power available it seems. I like how I can stay in a gear longer in the tighter single track like in 2nd and 3rd and just motor along with just a little clutch work. Summing it up: I don't miss the frame, the forks, the suspension, the motor and the difference in craftmanship and quality. I will miss the replacment parts cost and ease of aftermarket stuff I suppose. Please don't take offense to this - the KDX is a great bike and you shouldn't be doubting it. It's reliable, it handles well, it responds well to hop ups and it's easy to ride. Dirt biking is all about having fun and that KDX is plenty fun.

Top Bottom