Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
msrlogo.jpg

I received a set of System-X gear a couple of days ago and wanted to post some thoughts. Consider this an "out of the box" impression.

Those that I ride with know me a a gear freak of sorts... I'm always looking for gear that's comfortable, cool (as in temperature) and long lasting.

Right off the bat I'll tell you, I've always worn Thor gear, while from time to time NoFear, Fox and just about everyone else. I've always gone back to Thor however, it's been the best combination of fit (for me) and durability. Looks like I have another option.

I've seen a lot of sweet looking MSR gear in the past, but always equated MSR with woods riders. I didn't want to embarrass our tree-dodging brothers by associating my spodley self with them. Maybe it's just me, but it seems MSR is making waves on the MX track these days. Nick Wey wears the stuff, so I'm covered! :)

THIS IS GOOD STUFF.
Ripping into the UPS delivered box I was quite honestly surprised at the level of detail in this gear. The Jersey alone is impressive. Vented panels in the forearm, arm pit and down the front and back sides look to provide a lot of targeted airflow. The sleeves are somewhat formed, using a different flexible material in the elbow area as well as the thickest, forearm/elbow padding I've seen in any jersey (this stuff looks like it would actually save some skin). It's actually double stitched into the sleeve.. rather than just added on like an afterthought. There is a lot of piping detail between all the panels. As I said above; this is good stuff!

MORE GOOD STUFF, the Pants.
First things first. THANK YOU MSR for the BLACK seat area. There is nothing worse than walking thru the pits looking like you didn't make it to porta-john. Why some pants come with a white butt, I have no idea. What were they thinkin'?

The most unique feature.
Knee Brace wearers are no doubt familiar with pulling pants on over their braces. Most modern pants have extra space built-in the knee area for braces, but MSR went a step further. The bottom of the pant leg has a built-in zipper! Now getting your pants on is a lot easier and making adjustments to your brace doesn't require that you expose those BVD's. You've gotta know that if your WHITE-A$$ED pants are stained, those tighty-whitties are too. Trust me. No one wants to see that. Thumbs-up on the zipper.

The knee panels themselves (all 5 of them) offer a lot of stretch in all the right places, venting and thick "rubber" logo's that will help in a get-off. The inside of the knee is leather with rubbery traction "dots" ... while I haven't ridden with this gear yet, it looks to be helpful gripping the bike. I'm curious to see how long this material lasts with my braces, but can say that it's as thick and durable appearing as anything I've seen, if not more so.

Yes, there is a built-in loop on the back of the pants for hanging them up, why everyone doesn't do this I have no idea. It's a small detail, but very useful.

The closure system is first rate. Two large snaps and an adjustment system that actually has enough adjustment to make a difference. Wide velcro straps around the waist with large adjusters. But alas, no adjustment system can make the pants bigger :joke:

The System-X pant is cut a little lower than Thor, more on the lines of the FOX gear I've owned. This is the fit I prefer. Yes, I prefer it over pants that ride all the way up to my belly-button and it should be obvious why, lol. The older, less perfectly "tuned" riders among you know what I mean. These pants are very comfortable... I'll include riding impressions in the full review. I can say however, that I won't be pulling my pants up all day.

Overall Impression.
This gear is on the top self in the quality department. Great materials, great construction and a lot of detail. And most importantly (to some of us) it looks killer!

Sizing seems spot-on, as much as I'd like to believe I still wear a certain size, these are right on the money. With the vast amount of adjustment available, I'd think you could go a size larger to allow for a little expansion if necessary.

Next time you are shopping for gear, you owe it to yourself to check this stuff out.

Full review to follow.

More info: http://www.msracing.com

Last edited:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I too got a set of the MSR System X gear this spring. I've warn them a few times now and offer the following observations:

-the fit is indeed very good. All the stretch panels are perfect. Lots of room for my CTi braces...and the sizing is generous overall, with lots of adjustment to take them in.
-Don't know how long the "traction dots" are going to last, but they work well at least to the present.
-my only negative is that I don't know how well the material on the lower leg area will hold up to crashing. It's appears to be a "rip stop" type material, but is quite thin. I haven't had the opportunity to crash test them yet, but there is some wear in this area from kneeling for a period of time while "drying out" my poor drown bike (stupid is....)

01RM125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2002
We got my son the MSR System X vented gear the Christmas before last (1 year + 9 months ago). He rides about 4 times a week. He crashes pretty much (JR80 in the yard, SX65 on track). He LOVES this gear and since we got it, he likes to wear nothing else. After all of his abuse and must be hundreds of washings, they are perfect except a little frayed at the knees. We will be buying him a second set soon just to reduce the number of days a week I HAVE to wash his gear TONIGHT, so he can wear it again tomorrow.
I have had MSR World Tour gear (was thier bottom line), and have been pretty satisfied with it (a few problems, but at the price, and I have 2+ years from it, I shouldn't complain). But I am envious if his vented Sys X stuff; I thinks it's even nicer than my wife's Fox 360 vented gear, but that's subjective as they are both first class stuff. I'm asking for System X for Christmas :-).

Top Bottom