KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hmmmm, cross posting to multiple forums! Are we are a little bit excited?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
If the fact that I'm about to wet my pants waiting for it to get here means I'm excited then yes, you could say I'm a wee bit excited!!!!! ;)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wahoo! Way to go Aimee :) Looks like a deal ;)
You'll love the SSD too :) Fantastic news, we need a ride report ASAP, and I guess your boss won't be surprised when you're off sick for the rest of the week??? hehehe

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Congratulations! You'll love it. Do you have pictures yet? What made you decide to go with the 200 instead of the 250? You won't be disappointed, especially since you're used to a 125. At least you won't be where I was, going to such an awesome bike from a beat-up XR.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Oh my gosh Aimee, congratulations! I am so excited for you too. That is wonderful. I checked the e-mails last night to see if you got it, I should have known to check this site also. :confused:

WAY TO GO!!!! :)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Michelle, I wish I could take the rest of the week off!! It's killing me to have to be here at work while my new bike is sitting in my garage. You have no idea how excited I am about the SSD! Maybe now my arms won't be spaghetti after going through sand washes!

I am uploading some pictures right now. We went to the KTM dealer in Mojave last friday. They didn't have a 250 EXC but they did have a 200. I almost bought it but we were out there for another reason and didn't have the truck with us and they didn't deliver. It ended up being for the best because after looking at the brand new KTM200 EXC, and the more I thought about it, I just couldn't justify buying a brand new bike in my head. It would have ended up being about $6,000.00 out the door and that would have been for a non-green stickered, plain stock bike. (Not that the KTM's aren't awesome stock!) Then you end up dropping several hundred more on goodies customizing it. Plus, I think I would have been a nervous wreck riding a brand new, shiney bike! :eek:
Over the weekend I looked around at the used market to see what was out there and stumbled across this. The 64 year old man bought it brand new (at the Mojave dealer) in September! The bike is only 9 months old, and is loaded with very expensive goodies and I got it for $4,400.00!! I saved myself several thousand dollars including finance charges that I would probably be paying on long after the bike was no longer worth the paper the note was printed on! :confused:
It's not the 250 I was going to get, but it was too good a deal to pass up and when I get used to it and decide I want more power I will have it bored. Also the weight was always an issue for me. According to the KTM site, the 200MXC is 2lbs less than the 200EXC, although that is probably out the window with the additional goodies on my bike.

I know where you're coming from Sharla but I think from the opposite direction. :) This bike should be much easier to ride than the RM. It will be a HUGE transition from what I am used to but one for the better. I doubt I will have to work as hard with this bike as I do with the RM. Although that is all about to change considering Eric G. is working on my RM's cylinder right now. Once I get my RM parts back it will be like I have 2 new bikes. :) (except one will be in pieces) :eek:

Sorry, no ride reports until after this weekend, but the trek up and down the driveway was a blast!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I really wish I had not listened to everybody who told me 125s were scary, out of control and hard to handle. Everyone said when I started riding that XR200s are the perfect women's bike. So I bought one. I wish now that I had not listened and bought a used 125 instead--I'd be 3 times the rider than I am now. You have the advantage of having ridden a two-stroke. Oh well, if wishes were horses and all that. :)

I love my EXC. According to KTM, dry weight on the EXC is 214 but I have taken off the headlight, taillight and kickstand--I wonder what it really weighs now. You'll have to tell me what the MXC is like--I'm thinking that once I start racing more I may go with a lighter flywheel. It doesn't rev fast enough to be a serious MX bike, although the smarter thing to do would be to buy a 125 for the track and keep my EXC for the woods. Steve rides an 01 RM 125 and those are verrryy sweet bikes. Yellow isn't a bad color . . . ;)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I know what you mean Sharla. For some it probably is best to start off with something like an XR200 but I believe others may benefit from starting out on a 125. You probaby would have been one of those people that took to it well. I think I may have started on a bike that was a little more difficult than most 125's. I just got this e-mail from Eric:

"I just un-boxed your engine parts and examined them, this is what you have. The cylinder and head were ported by Paul Leary when he worked for Race Tech located then in Pomona. They probably charged the original owner $500 for this job. The cylinder was ported for an expert so the powerband is very narrow and high. The cylinder head was designed for race gas so its just starting to have problems with errosion at the gasket surfaces of the cylinder and head. The cylinder bore was tapered and out of round so it was leaking compression and the piston ring was seized in the groove so it couldn't spring out to control the compression either.
The exhaust valves work fine but I think that the spring wasn't positioned
properly. You must of had to rev this bike really high to get it going. I can imagine that it was hard to ride.
You'll need to be carefull once we fix it for higher compression, if you
try to ride it by sound (revs) it will be a little wild!"

He reallly hit the nail on the head when he mentioned having to really rev the bike! Without really having much to compare it to, I had no idea. But I guess in the end it may have benefited me in a way, heck if I have been riding this thing all along, everything else should be cake! ;)

My MXC has a heavier flywheel on it now. I also have the stock one, but I think the heavier one will be best for the type of riding I do. I don't ride track at all.

It's been a while since I rode Lori's EXC so I'm not sure I will notice much of a difference with the MXC but I will give a full ride report after I get some time on it this weekend. :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Wow, sounds like quite a handful to ride! That was your first bike, right? How many miles / hours did you put on it? You looked great on it at Reno.

I had one friend who said I should look for a 99-00 YZ and add a flywheel weight, and another who recommended an 80 Expert with a 105 kit. Saturated with two-stroke horror stories and surrounded by friends who only rode XRs with headlights and never went to a track or stood up while riding, I pooh-poohed that advice. The 105 might have been a handful but the seat height would have been closer . . . though the 125 would have been fun too. If I only knew then what I do now, right?

I do a little track riding--it's easier to find one to practice on than it is to go trailriding around here. It's fun although I enjoy the woods more. It gets more and more fun as I get better at it, too. Most of the popular woods areas around here are very, very technical and nasty--Steve won't even take me there. I am also fairly new to my area so I don't know all the cool secret spots yet. So I do ride both but prefer the trails.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Aimee, what Eric wrote is exactly what I noticed about riding your bike in Reno. I was surprised at how much that RM had to be revved before it would start moving out! I didn't have experience with other 125 motocrossers, so I thought maybe they were all this way. Once I figured out where the powerband was, I could manage, but it wasn't what you'd call "easy" to ride on the trails.

You probably won't notice much power difference, if any, from your MXC and my EXC. If anything, you'll notice the difference in gear ratios first. Compared to your RM, the KTM is going to feel like it's making power everywhere (which it is!), and you will be able to ride a gear high, or a gear low, and the bike will still move for you. Sounds like the only thing you'll have to do to the bike is get the suspension set up for your weight. Since it was already shortened an inch, it may be that it has also been re-valved for a lighter weight rider, so it could be very close. Woohoo! Welcome to Klub KTM!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Firecracker, this RM is technically my 2nd bike. I got my first bike when I was about 15 or 16. It was a RM125, I am unsure of the year, but I only had it a few months before it was stolen from our garage. I barely got my feet wet on it.
As far as mile/hours, I'm not really sure. I don't keep track. I've had it a year and a half, and I can actually count how many times I have ridden it! (16 riding trips) If I were to guess I would say at least 360 miles.
For the most part I didn't mind my RM so much but it was a lot of work going up hills, especially technical ones. I would have to really keep it reved and be feathering the clutch constantly.

Lori, I believe you were the first one to say something about it. I thought it was so funny when your handed it back to me at Reno and said "that thing has got no bottom end!" :confused:
The previous owner did have the suspension done by D ick's Racing Suspension. He is about 5'4 and 170lbs. It's a bit stiff, but we'll see how it feels when I really get to ride it.

Kali, it is definitely my turn to make a trip up to your neck of the woods and you are more than welcome to take my bike for a spin. Don't worry about "tumbling over", like Eddie always says, "ride em, break em, fix em". :)
I don't know anything about internet dating, all I know is I just got very Luckey. ;)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
FotoTime Sux :)

I can't get it to load either. GSR is trying a new free photo hosting site called fototime and I am not impressed so far. I bet she will put them on her photopoint page for us though :)

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
It took two attempts but I finally got it to load. Great pics Aimee. I guess we all know what you'll be doing this weekend. The bike looks awesome. Let us know how the first official ride goes. :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by gospeedracer

Lori, I believe you were the first one to say something about it. I thought it was so funny when your handed it back to me at Reno and said "that thing has got no bottom end!" :confused:

Oh, you remembered that! :o

The pictures look great. I like the one of you giving the bike a hug. :)

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
Congratulations on your new bike. :) I don't know much about the KTM's, is your bike still a 2 stroke?

Have fun tearing it up out there!! :cool:

Top Bottom