My new suspension is kicking my butt!

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
I have a 06 KDX200. I weigh 260 and ride tight woods and sandy trails. I don't jump much, and I'm not a really aggressive rider, but I do like to dive into berms and I have been known to get a little rowdy at times. The stock springs had a bottoming problem with me on them. So I replaced my springs with .48 in the front and 5.6 in the rear, just as all of the suspension sites I looked at recommended for my fat ass. Now either a) I forgot how to ride, or b) the bike doesn't track anything like it used to. It just feels too stiff and unresponsive. The front end seems to follow even small ruts in loose sand to an extreme, and doesn't seem as forgiving as it did stock. I've backed the compression damping way off in the forks, and have done the same with compression and rebound in the rear. I cut 1/2" off the fork spacers, and I have my sag set a 3 3/4" in both the front and rear to keep them even. I just can't find a place in the settings that's comfortable. I've been on a few rides in various conditions, and I've been playing with the settings constantly trying to figure it out. It seems like the front is more the issue than the rear. What do you recommend? Would increasing my sag do any good?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Sorry, I dont know anything about suspension

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
supajdogg said:
...I've backed the compression damping way off in the forks, and have done the same with compression and rebound in the rear...
With stiffer springs, it may be a good thing to back out on the compression, which you did, but it is a bad idea for the rebound. You actually need more rebound damping to go along with the stiffer spring. Also, you may want to add even more rebound damping if you are riding in sand.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
Ok, I'll try turning the rebound up some. But the front doesn't have adjustable rebound, so should I try more oil or thicker oil? I didn't even look at the oil when I changed the springs.

Top Bottom