My Restoration Project (56k don't bother)

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
DelSoto said:
love it dude...doin the same to my 98 yz250
keep up the good work! It is nice to see these older bikes getting attention!

If you need parts, I probably have a hundred various parts that I'll have left over. Let me know if you need something.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Engine is complete! (Finally)

Work Done:
All new bearings
All new Oil Seals (Except Kick Starter seal)
New Crank assembly
New Piston, Rings, wristpin bearings, etc
Stahley Flywheel 11oz
New RAD Valve
Various New Power Valve Parts
New Gaskets
All new Clutch
2.3mm Valve Shim from YZ250F added to Clutch PushRod

Last edited:

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
aaronnaland said:
What type of paint did you use on it?

Cylinder and head are just clean from media blasting

The silver metalflake stuff is Duplicolor Wheel Paint (it can take 300°F)

The royal blue/midnight blue metalic are mixed from duplicolor as well.

The power valve covers are Duplicolor Aluminum paint. (I hate that crap and will get those two covers media blasted soon)

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
i applaud you tat is some project, but it will be sweeeet when its done

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009

cool i like to use brake caliper paint. It will make it to 900°F if you get the right stuff. Good job on the whole project.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Time to paint the hubs and re-lace onto the Black Pro-Wheel hoops
What you cannot see in pic #1 is the 7 layers of duct tape that PO used instead of a $2 Rim Band. *sigh*
(I had to fill in a lot of the background because my camera created HUGE files)

Nasty. Needs to be brightened up

I had already put in new bearings front & back before I decided to do a full-on restoration so I didn't wanna take the chance of damaging them by removing them to mediablast the hubs)

That's better! (you can see my home made bearing caps, which worked like a champ to keep the paint out!)

Next up is the Flying Spaghetti Monster post! (I hope I'm touched by His noodly appendage)

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Here he is, FSM in Person

Actually, I'm just laying out the spokes in preparation to relace the rim.

50% Complete!

Done!

It only took 45 minutes to lace and true it, which is pretty good since it's only the second time I ever laced a rim and true'd it. My only other time re-lacing and trueing a rim was when I was 14.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
inotocracy said:
Awesome! Won't that paint chip pretty easily off the motor after a single ride though?

No. Waterpump Cover and Clutch Case had 5 scratches after 11 years of use. I have a good skidplate.

Not worried about the Ignition cover paint chipping because it's a dirt bike. It's going to get it's paint chipped or its powder coating, or whatever I put on it. At least with paint, its easier to repair.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
I finished the Rear Rim today, after a PM by a friend reminding me to look closely at how the spokes are arranged. I was so eager to get the rim laced I didn't realize that there are two, different length spokes for the rear.

I had it all laced and spokes were sticking out at odd angles and I was like , W-T-H?!

Once I figured it out I got back on track and got 'er done in no time. I am a bit bummed though because I was not able to true it "spot on" perfect. I have a little over 1.2mm lateral run out, and about .5mm axial run out. Outer tolerance is 2mm so it is "within" spec, but I'd feel better if it were dead on.

Here's a pair of shots of the Rear Rim

Here's my Attack Graphics for the side plates and Front Number Plate

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Flying through it? I been working on it off and on for 3 years, lol. Obviously more off than on...

Weather has been cooperating lately and finances as well so that's why I am making progress.

I installed the calipers today, put the rim bands rim locks and tires on tonight.

I chased the threads on the sub-frame mounts with a tap to clean them up too. (Still waiting on the bolts to arrive from DGY tomorrow)

Cleaned the carb tonight and installed the rebuild kit and JD Jet Kit as well.

Tomorrow is Graphics time (Attack Graphics for the number plates)

Saturday is Engine installation time and radiator installation time

MAYBE, possibly get it fired up for a minute or two Saturday evening if I am fortunate.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Not quite done yet, but here are a few updated pics.

I still need to do the little things like run the fuel line, torque all the major bolts, bleed the brakes, and tighten up the lock nuts on the chain adjusters.

Oh, and replace the front brake line because it seems that the one I ordered last year is too short (GRRR!)

After that, I'll be ready to put in the coolant and oil and run it for about 60 seconds, then drain the oil and refill.

I am hoping I didn't forget anything major and end up

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…