My review of renthal fatbar 2001KTM bend

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Right these are about my 6th set of bulge bars-i havnt bent any, just looking for a set of low sweep medium height bars.These are the ones i have been looking for-previous to this i had Tag RM high but they were too much sweep-the Team bend Tags were better but a bit high and still not quite enough sweep.The Renthal 2001KTM bend is super straight, the sweep is 35mm compared to most others around 55mm.My Cr125 corners like a different bike now-i can rail rough bumpy corners or hold a real tight line.So if you are looking for a modern bulge bar with little sweep i would go for them.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Man, those are straight... best I've seen so far is 52mm, I may have to gice those a try. Thanks for the info. What is the height measurement?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
wow! 35 mm, thats straight! maybe next time just bolt a broom handle on the front of the bike.

i just tried my new protaper windams this weekend, and really liked them. nice and wide and good (99 mm) height, and i thought they were straight with 54mm sweep.

so what was the height on these ktm bends?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
They are about the same height as a rm high bend tags-kind of med high.On the sweep have you noticed the bars with sweeps of 50 ish mm arnt as straight as a std steel cr bar.The way of measuring them is wrong as you lay the bar flat on a table and then measure up to the bar end.On a bulge bar the thicker part(where the clamps go)forces the ends of the bar towards the table surface more so when making them they put more angle on the bars to get back to the 50mm.When the bulge bar is mounted in the clamps the extra width of the bulge part doesnt factor as it is central in the clamp.Basically to make the measurement the same as a normal bar you would need a cutout in the table to drop the bulge part into-it would need to be the same depth as the difference from a bulge bar to a std one.I know this sounds hard to grasp but if you get a std bar and a bulge bar on a table its easy to see.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i totally understand what you are saying, but in argument, i can say i think that these windam protapers are quite straight..... the reason being is that those are the measurments given by protaper and are described as being made from the center line of the bar. thus, the extra bulge from the bar doesnt come into it.

but, in fairness i have little experience of the matter. in hindsight, i dont think i really needed new bars since when i took the old ones off they turned out to be very similar to the new ones.... i cant tell but i think they were charmicheal renthals 7/8. but, i do like having a crossbarless setup and also the etched lines help centering and experimenting etc.

as a scientist, i would say the best experiement would be to take the same bend bar from renthal in fatbar and std versions and compare them on the table. i would bet that the measurements they give also come from the center line and although they would look differnent on the table but when mounted up they would be the same.

however, i do have some ice cream on hand so i can eat it with my humble pie :D

but at the end of the day, 35 mm is very straight i bet they help you to keep standing position also!

i suppose the

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im not sure how all companies measure them but i can tell you the renthal fatbar charmichael bend doesnt even measure right if you do it the same way as renthal-its not even close on height/sweep etc.Basically i have found i have to order them to really see.So far KTM maguras sx band are too high,tag rm high too much sweep, tag team bend are good, renthal fatbar charmichael are a joke,twinwalls are out for me as they vibe too much on a alloy frame.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
wierd! the charmicheal are supposed to be one of the straightest bars going! they are one of the highest, but there is no way RC is actually running that bend anyway (well not when i saw them at glen helen anyway)

although the two bars i swapped looked very similar, i likes the new ones more since i felt less like i would go over the bars on landings.....but again, since i changed other things and ive got a lot stronger since i last rode so its really difficult to make a real comparison.

but they look really niiiiiice though!:) and the only other option was the Button bend and those have way too much sweep.

all i want for the bike now is some new tires and a CR style brake hose and then i will have really run out of excuses for riding like a spode!

see ya!

Top Bottom