Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ride Report:
I don’t usually do this but, here you go. We gathered 7 guys (All KTM”S!) for a ride around the Higgins lake loop Sunday. We arrived by a bit after 10AM and it was freakin’ cold. The ground was frozen solid and there were even hints that snow had fallen in spots. We even got “Tommy phone biotch” from Lansing Cycle in the woods for like the second time in his life-even on a bum leg. He rode a borrowed 250 EXC 2T. Liquid Lenny was on the baby stroker pit racing in the parking lot as we all tried to get the bikes warmed up and running cleanly. (That Lenny is real fast in the parking lot!) I tweaked Nappers carb for superior throttle response – 1/8 turn in on the air screw and she was running sweet. (He’s still new to the 2 stroke stuff) Tom won the “prettiest gear” award by far –damn that stuff was white and those pretty white boots really topped it off. I was really impressed when the SOBE-Cannondale box van arrived with a billion Cannondale “to die for” mountain bikes in it and a road weary playboy named Adrian. Adrian and I got acquainted as I admired his buff behind –caught him getting his riding shorts on. Timing is everything! Luckily that image soon departed my mind as I noticed a really cool Moto Guzzi road bike in the van. (I got there a bit earlier than the masses and I was already dressed-that’s why I had time to talk with the gang.) Some guy shows up in a Ford Explorer selling Fulmer helmets out of the back of his vehicle –looked fully legit to me! (NOT!) Napper lead the pumpkin patch into the woods and holy moly was it slippery, frozen ground that just looked like it would leave gouges in your hide if you took a tumble so I slowed down and rode a bit slower than a couple of the weirdos in the front. We slid through a few ice patches, even broke through a few puddles on the trail. I think Adrian was the first to sample the frozen tundra as his headlight became a mangled pile on the front of his bike. (He had Nappers old 450 and the saga of the headlight continues yet again!) Lenny was still on the throttle and even got out of first gear. Tommy wandered in and off we went. We were riding the whoop section and having a blast –the whoops were nice as they were full of traction at least. I was riding in mid pack and Adrian fell again. I stopped to check him out and all the sympathetic riders took off around us. Eventually we all gathered and when Lenny showed up he gave us a spectacular demonstration of how fast he can haul down a 2 tracker on the baby thumper banging gears and making us all laugh at him, after we stopped laughing off we went. This happened for most of the loop, stopping and gathering up and eventually I got my courage up and headed near the front of the pack. We had some fun racing each other through the whoop sections and the boldest guy would make the pass with the throttle pinned. Not too many crashed to report other than I think Napper may have gotten up close and personal with mother earth once. We also had a butt pucker moment when BV was in the lead followed by Napper than me and we entered a railroad grade type section that had some whoops, was fast and had a couple huge ice covered deep water holes in it. BV hit them with speed, wet his undies I’m sure and keep on motoring. Napper stopped and we slowed down the rest of the guys so we didn’t end up pulling some one off a tree. Of course Lenny was a bit slow to realize the situation and blazed through the water hole and got soaked. We laughed and fired up the bikes and off we went, Lenny was dripping wet. We were making pretty good time at the end of the 30 mile loop but Tommy was fading fast being he just got back on a bike and was a bit nervous around so many trees. (Tom’s a nice guy but he’s a moto X fag) So the last section had a few trees to jump and some to go around and a fast whoop section to race each other in and we arrived back at the trail head. It was a fun ride so far. The weather was much nicer and the ground had thawed a bit so we decided to take a short 10 mile loop before calling it “Miller Time” Tom decided to start getting acquainted with that 12 pack of Coors he brought and stayed back at the truck while we decided to take off with out getting any fuel. Living life on the dangerous side! We got a drink of Gatorade, Lenny was pit racing again and off we went. The pace was much quicker this time out and we were roosting and passing each other in the wide open whoop sections and I got a little crazy and pinned it until I was in the lead. Every once in a whiloe I forget how old I am. I had not lead much today so I decided to keep moving along and I was having fun. I stopped at a road crossing for a minute and Napper was on the gas! He went flying past me so I took off after him and we were hauling the mail through the frozen woods until we got to the cut off. We all stopped to gather. Adrian was commenting on how great we have it here in Michigan for riding and how “lucky” we are unlike Arizona where he rides. We reminded him that he was the one that had the opportunity to “Meet” so many pretty girls always traveling and I think we might have called it even”luck” to maybe a slight nod to Adrian – depending on your priorities. He’s had a chance to be all over the country and confirmed that although we really miss the “way it was” we do have a great trail system. He was having a ball and riding pretty good to boot. I was feeling pretty brave so I took off first on the cutoff and the pumpkin patch followed. Adrian was on my tail for a while but made a bad decision at a log crossing and the roar of the thumper disappeared. I got back to the trail head first and proceeded to offer up a few beers to the buds after a fun ride. We changed, got loaded up and took off to the Ponderosa in Clare where we had the opportunity to stuff ourselves and bench race. Lenny was the last one to finish eating –probably worn out from all the pit racing at the trail head. We all said our good byes and headed home –Lenny wanted to go to the bar. It was a great day! :thumb:
We love Lenny, he's a funny guy-we just like to pick on him.

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Very well done Freddy my man!! I knew you had it in you... It always amazes me how much fun it is to read "trail reports" - NOT as much fun as actually being there but most certainly the next best thing. Sounds like you guys had a BALL and that is what it all about!!
Your right about the late fall weather - it wont be long and we will be "pushing snow" at the Snowy Chicken again..
Woodsy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom