My riding sucks (but it's funny to watch!)

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
I am an absolute beginner on a track, an am trying to learn (very painful).

I have ridden dirt bikes all my life, but never more than cruising the woods, fields, pastures, etc. I have always wished for the skills to be able to ride motocross at just a "B" level, but have never dedicated the time or gonads to improve.

After getting a new RM250 for Christmas, I decided I was giong to work at it until I, by gosh, made it happen. There is a practice track very close to my house that is available to ride, and the weather was warm enough today to start my "lessons".

By 1:30, I was on a track for the first time in my life!:)
I took it easy for a while while I was getting a feel for things, and slowly began to try to increase my lap speeds.

I remember reading some posts here that said it was much safer to learn jumping skills on table tops because they are more "forgiving" to mistakes. With this in mind, I practiced until I was doing pretty good on two of the table tops that this track had. The third table top had a single right before it, and everyone was using the single as the take off for the table top. The two jumps were so close, that this was the only way to attack the jump. For this reason, I had been bypassing this particular jump all day. I just did not feel that I was ready for it.

Well into the afternoon, it was approaching time to load up and go, so I went out one last time before we left. On my first lap I decided to give a double a try. I mean, with a "whole day" of practice, I figured that I just had to be ready to fly. I came off a corner and hit the take off ramp, and lo and behold, I actually made it. I will admit that I made it just barely, and my front tire came down first at the exact peak of the second jump! Just 1" shorter, and I would have eaten a lot of dirt.

It was a little scary, but I thought hey, I made it!!! This is way cool! I went through the whoops (I can actually do them pretty fair too) and around another turn,and saw the oncoming single/table top combination. Well, my confidence was peaking (not a good sign) and I figured that "if a 9 year old on a KX60 can clear it.....". I accelerated and hit the face of the single with all intentions of being able to actually load my bike on the trailer without the aid of my 11 year old son and a wheel chair!:(

What happened next is still a little fuzzy, but the papers say that they have recieved several reports from people in the surrounding area that believe NASA is experimenting with a new, bright yellow space shuttle. As soon as my rear tire left the ground, I knew that something was amis, and my future was very sketchy, at best:ugg:.

I went straight up, with my front tire aimed at the sun. I had PLENTY of distance because I landed right on the back side of the table top, but with my rear tire and tip of my rear fender touching down at about the same time. I remember thinking, as I was experiencing the heat of re-entry, "I am about to crash, and I can't do a thing about it". I hit the ground with my boots still grasping for the pegs, and my hands had a death grip on the bars.

The coroner's report states that my butt took most of the impact. Then the bike came over backwards and introduced itself to my chest. Both victim and Suzuki slid for a while on the hard packed clay, until the 'zook decided to get up and leave this loser to die.

Luckly, there were enough parts left to salvage (from the loser, I mean), and the RM turned spacecraft, was unhurt, sans a few scratches. I got up, finished the lap, and then painfully loaded up and headed to the closest pain management clinic.

This concludes the first "get Bill ready to ride a moto" report.:uh:

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Sounds like you had a great time! Welcome to the wonderful world of Motocross. I highly advise wearing as much riding gear as you can get your hands on. Good luck and have fun.

Lee W.

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
Thanks
I had everything on thank god! The only thing that I still lack, and will buy tomorrow is some elbow/forearm pads. A buddy of mine wears a set of fox pads and I really like them. I should have had them on too. It would have saved me a few layers of skin!;)

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
that's one problem about this sport. in order to improve, one must continually push the limits. if you push too far, then it's usually painful.
seeing as you were a bit fazed about the jump from the start of the day, you obviously made damn sure you were not going to land short by staying on the gas all the way up the ramp, and thus you flew front wheel high. you could have saved the situation by pulling in the clutch and locking the back brake, but it's easy for me to say this now. in the heat of the moment, it's not always easy to remember all the last resort techniques!
thanks for sharing your story. it sounded like you had a really good time, and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. as No Fear's saying goes 'if you never fail, you will never succeed'.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Good ride report FireGod. A similar thing happened to me when I was trying to jump my DR350. I was getting good at the tabletops so I tried the small double right after the long tabletop I just cleared. BAD idea, I grabbed alot of throttle just to be sure I'd clear it and suddenly all I could see was sky and front tire. Sorry, don't know what happened after that until I woke up to some guy on a Kawasaki asking me if I'm ok. That's when I decided to stick to woods riding. ;-)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
If you don't already have them I would suggest Crash Pads, or some other brand of padded shorts to wear under your MX pants. I have them left over from when I use to skatboard a bit. They do help.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The big question is....

are you going to try it again?
From my experience, once you have make the jump you need to do it every time. Even after a crash you've got to try it again, kind of like falling off your bike or a horse you've got to get right back up or you'll loose your nerve.
I saw a pro rider at the arenacross this weekend dive his front wheel into the landing of the catapult jump and it wasn't pretty. He didn't crash but you could definitely tell he was rattled. His landing was a dead stop from probably 3rd gear pinned and dropping out of the sky from about 40'. He gathered his senses, took another lap and hit it again. You could tell he didn't really want to but I understood why he did.
Good luck on the track and keep us up to date.

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
I will have both the riding shorts and elbow/forearm pads by the weekend! And yes, I will have to try it again. I agree with you that you have to get back on the horse. It will be hard gathering up the 'nads to give it another go, but I know if I don't do it now, I might not ever.

BUT THIS TIME...
1. Smooth throttle and build speed before the single
2. Standing (attack position) with weight forward enough to read the
number plate while in the air
3. TRY to remember to use the clutch/brake or throttle to control the
pitch of the bike

Does this sound right?

Thanks for the words of support!:)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
also advise to stay relaxed, don't need the death grip on the bars. Do remember to grip the bike with your ankles and knees so you don't get "bucked off." Just go with the flow while in the air, it's kind of like dancing, just feel the groove;)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I had a similar experience. I was out riding in this gravel pit and went to wheely off the backside of a couple of mound of dirt and gravel with too much throttle too soon . I ended up jumping both of them( singly ) and running out room to stop. I ended up laying face down on a big rock. Needless to say I ended up in the ER some 35 miles away with severly bruised ribs and a shredded elbow. The next weekend I was right back in the woods in the pouring rain for poker run.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Firegod23

1. Smooth throttle and build speed before the single
2. Standing (attack position) with weight forward enough to read the
number plate while in the air
3. TRY to remember to use the clutch/brake or throttle to control the
pitch of the bike

As long as you make yourself hold steady throttle and not cut it right at takeoff (this is my problem when I have good speed coming into steep jumps), you'll probably be alright.

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
what would happen if you DID chop the throttle right at takeoff?

This is worse than too much throttle. Chopping the throttle on take off will cause the front to nose dive, the attempt to save it in this situation is to get as far back on the bike as possible and twist the throttle hard. The acceleration of the rear wheel will cause the front end to lift slightly. This is what is referred to as panic rev. Two strokes don't nose dive in this situation as bad as four strokes, since two strokes don't have as much engine braking

A cool way to get a feel for how this works is to get on your bike on a stand, with it running in first gear, gas it a little. Then pull in the clutch and tap the rear brake. It doesn't take much wheel speed to feel how it works.

Last edited:

Knopey

Jan 14, 2002
It'd still hurt, but it wouldn't be your butt this time. Bike tips forward, you tip forward, then it's "panic rev/lean back for all you're worth" time. :scream:

Steve

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Oh yes, you would go nose-low, which, needless to mention, is much worse than nose-high (since you have a good chance of ending up with the bike driving you into the ground).

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Firegod23
For sake of conversation, what would happen if you DID chop the throttle right at takeoff? Just curious.:think
No guarantees, but you could be sitting where I am now. :scream:

I did something similar Nov 25th...I screwed up putting my motor together and it basically died on the face of a jump. One of the guys there told me that I went completely over and that my head was the first thing to hit with the bike on top of me.

Definitely the worst crash I've had.

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
One of the guys there told me that I went completely over and that my head was the first thing to hit with the bike on top of me.

I hope you are OK, and thank you all for your advise. I hope to try again this weekend! I will let you know what happens.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I will be eventually. Good luck and be careful...you don't get faster watching from the fence. :( I can feel what little speed I used to have tricklng out right now! :ugg:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
When do you think you'll be back in the saddle?

Top Bottom