Jeel

Feb 14, 2006
Last bike I had was in 2001...it was a new YZ125 setup for woods use in rocky New England and an occasional practice day at the local mx track. Sold it at at the end of the 2001 season.

Five years later, college degrees, wife, and house and I am looking to get back in due to a co-worker who is a rider/racer. I stand 5'6" so touching the ground is always an issue and weigh 190 lbs (no bragging, all muscle from years of bodybuilding).

I am trying to decide between a used 2004 KTM 450EXC with 400 miles for $4400 or just getting a new 2005 KX250 leftover for $4700. I plan to ride the tight and rocky trails of New England, but I may end up throwing in a couple days each season at the mx track for kicks.

Which bike will holds its value better?

Which bike best fits my needs?

What would you do???

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I doubt that either bike would be a mistake . . . I suppose the 450 is probably more set up for what you want to do most of the time.

Zmoney

Oct 18, 2004
Both are good bikes. However, they are designed for different things. The KX will require some mods to make it more woods friendly. The KTM will need less (if anything) to make it work on a track. Assuming you're only riding practice days for fun you'll be fine the way it is. You have the whole 2 vs. 4 stroke question to answer as well. As far as holding value, who knows? I've seen a couple of sweet '05 250's in my area for sale for around $3500. Buying any bike new is never a good investment from strictly a financial viewpoint. They all go down fast. You could easily mod a used 250 into a great woods/track bike for the cost of the KTM. I guess the real decision probably comes down to the 2 vs 4 thing.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
The ktm 300 xcw is a real nice bike, I definetly agree about the financial bout with bikes, maybe a 250 or 300 exc would work for you. Thing is the bikes will continue drop and get to a price over the years
to a point of around 1200 and up.
You may find a good deal on something that is a bit older but with a lot of mods and still get you around fairly well.
Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom