holyfrickster

Jan 14, 2005
Hey guys, well I have an 02 RM250 and it has been out of order for the past 2 months. I need to rebuild the entire bike, top and bottom end and I am a firm believer of doing things myself and learning. I have a ton of experience with car motors and I look at it as, It is 10x smaller how hard can it be. I am going to buy the Factory suzuki service manual because there are a lot of things that I probably won't know which I will learn on the way. And I don't feel like spending $600 to get it done.

So I was just wondering if any of you who do their own rebuilds...How difficult is it? Could you give me some pointers. Or just your opinion. Thank you.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
you need a clymer or an eric gorr manual. i own clymer and its 313 pages long. it has real pictures and it is very detailed. the top end from what i hear isnt bad at all. but the bottom end requires you to split the case.

dirtbagmatty

Dec 13, 2007
its easy buddy...i also was good with cars and trucks before i tried at my 01 rm250. When it really comes down to it, replace the piston, the rings, the pin, bearing, clutch plates, and check your basket and clutch hub...those are the parts that get the most wear and tear as long as you maintain oil and so-on you shouldnt have to get down and dirty with the bottom end and the transmission too much. As for piston and clutch parts it is pretty straight forward in maintenace and repalcement.

holyfrickster

Jan 14, 2005
dirtbagmatty said:
its easy buddy...i also was good with cars and trucks before i tried at my 01 rm250. When it really comes down to it, replace the piston, the rings, the pin, bearing, clutch plates, and check your basket and clutch hub...those are the parts that get the most wear and tear as long as you maintain oil and so-on you shouldnt have to get down and dirty with the bottom end and the transmission too much. As for piston and clutch parts it is pretty straight forward in maintenace and repalcement.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the input. I am ordering the manual and should be here by friday. So I will tackle it then. Are there any special tools that I need. I have all of the standard tools. Just not sure if there is something special I need.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
make sure you have the right tools - or knowledge to get it apart-
(keep the tranny assembled) use tape to list/ code where bolts /screws go-
take your time-

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Buy a sleeve of styro cups to put you're bolts and screws and other small pieces in and label it. Its a big help when it comes to reassembly. Also, when you're putting the case halves back together, put the crank in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for a while. This is also a big help when reassembling. Good Luck!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If I'm not going to replace a transmission gear, I keep two strips of alumium tape (each about 2-foot long) and two large ziploc bags handy. When I remove the gear clusters, I carefully wrap the tape around the cluster, making sure all gears, spacers and washers are still in place. Then I place them in a ziploc and set them aside until it is time to reassemble them. You may need a tool ($12-$14 or so) to remove your flywheel. It is also much easier if you have something to help split your cases (auto timing gear puller --about $10--with 8mm bolts instead of 5/16" will work on engines with two bolts to split cases, other type of adjustable auto puller can be used on cases with three bolts to split cases--do a search here for suggestions. Some people say they just pry and use rubber hammers to split the cases, but that makes me a bit too nervous). Impact wrench makes removing clutch a breeze, but you don't need one to get it done.

holyfrickster

Jan 14, 2005
You guys have given me a lot of great advice. Thank you very much. I should start this project on friday. Baggies and tape should be my best friend.

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
I split my bottom end and did the rebuild myself. Camera works well for documenting things that are shown poorly in the manuals.. This was my first time doing this type of work and I had no problems with it.

Top Bottom