Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
I sent my cylinder away to eric gorr over the winter to have the 144 treatment.
Over the last 3 years I've rebuilt my bike way wayyyy more than I should have needed to, mainly because the plating had been worn down and piston slap has been the cause of my last 2 siezures(broken skirts).
Finally got a few $$ set aside and shipped it out for the 144, since it would have cost me $400(ballpark) in Canada to just re-plate the damn thing.

Anyway, when I first got it together it was lean, jets are on back order for weeks, I could tell the bottom was stronger, but it was so anemic up top because it was starved for fuel I didn't scream it.
First race comes up, FINALLY a nice hot day, and I could tell in my practice the bike was ripping, I'd come out of a corner neck and neck with a 250f on a straight and leave them way behind.

First moto, decided I'd have full confidence in the engine and see how it did on the start.
And to be clear, I mean that I'd shoot right for the money line in the corner, where the bottle necks and pile ups are, assuming that I'd be able to get there before most of the pack, where last year I'd go outside because I KNEW I'd be beaten by half the field to the first corner.

Lined up against 34 other bikes, about 6 were 2-strokes.
Gate drops and I'm SECOND into the first corner! Couldn't believe I just left a gate of four strokes on the start.
Unfortunately I ran out of talent and fell back to 12th haha.

I've had 6 moto starts this year, only one of them I was mid pack. All of the others I've pulled top 10 starts every time, and twice I've been top 5 out of the gate. It goes beyond that too, used to be 2-strokes had to make use of their advantage in corners, but in straights are where I'm passing.

Now, bottom gain is noticeable, but you'd still have to be stupid to lug this in a corner and try to use bottom end power. It's just nice to have a little more there when I mess up and am a gear high in a corner and it can still sometimes pull through it without losing my momentum.

Very happy with this engine now, and 2-strokes seem to be coming back a little bit around here, since the 1st and 2nd place riders in my class are on a yz and sx 125.

If I had no bike right now, instead of dropping 4k on a used 250f, I would 100% buy a 2002-2006 125 and bore it to a 144. You could probably still do this for a good $500 less than a good used 250f.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the report, I've been prowling craigslist looking for a blown up 04 or newer RM125 or KX125 for just this project.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2006
I just EG 144'd the cr around here. It runs pretty good but will need a little jetting work. I was trail riding it yesterday and it sure feels like it could beat 250f's in a drag race. It was running even with a 200xc in a little top 3 gear race (surprised my son, that's for sure). My son then rode it and figured the same as me...it rips really good now.A little more bottom, stronger mid and a longer top- just what I was looking for for my youngest. Thanks to Eric, he was a pleasure to deal with. :)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Chili said:
I've been prowling craigslist looking for a blown up 04 or newer RM125

Same here...
I'm not familiar with the 01 and newer RM125s. Is there a reason to avoid 01-03s? Do I remember one of those years having tranny issues...?

Have a friend (woods/HS rider) who EG 144 low-ended his 99 RM125... says the additional grunt made it "work way better in the woods."

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Same here...
I'm not familiar with the 01 and newer RM125s. Is there a reason to avoid 01-03s? Do I remember one of those years having tranny issues...?

We had no issues with our 03, I can't speak to the 01 and 02's but I don't recall any known issues other than standard Zook clutch issues.

The reason I was looking 04 or newer is 04 was the last year the 125 and 250 received any significant changes.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Yea, it'll beat them in a drag race for sure, but this was also in optimal 2-stroke conditions. Both tracks were deep sand. Most tracks around here are either sand or intermediate terrain/loamy, so it works out well for 2-strokes.
Unfortunately for me, I've got a broken leg right now and have to wait until early july before I can get back at some races.
My old fox forma pro's were pretty worked over, and I should have sprung for new boots sooner... O well, I've got a pair of the new Gaerne sg-12's on the way now.
I wish I had $400 that I didn't need sitting in my bank account right now, I'd send my suspension away while I'm taking a break haha.

Top Bottom