dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
This might come in handy for someone eventually, so here's what I've done to my TTR-225.

Installed Big Gun Exhaust System, changed main jet from 130 to 135 or 140, drilled out brass plug to get to main needle jet screw and turn the screw out 1 and half turns. Took out the rubber air box snorkle.

The exhaust change cost me about $400 and greatly improved the low and mid power bands (to me at least). 1st gear is a real tractor of a gear now, 2nd is what I use to get moving in and also a great tractor gear (this is also the gear I start my stand still wheelie attempts in). 3rd gear is a bit more torquey now around the middle and high end and is where I do a lot of my trail riding at. Up around 5th and 6th this beast really gets moving, to fast for me, but my riding buddies say it's pretty quick. I don't know if taking out that snorkle helped much, seems to, but then again I don't know for sure. I figure more air in is good sometimes.

I've changed handlebars several times, I use the cheap-o $30 aluminum ones. I have seen the adapters that change a 7/8 inch bar to a 1 1/8 (Fat/pro-taper) type bar, but I haven't gone that route yet.

The front break and clutch levers have been changed out several times to. I don't use the Yamaha TTR-225 specific ones (I hate waiting for special ordered parts to arrive). Instead I use off the shelf XT225 levers or 93'ish YZ125 levers.

My opinion on this bike. I love it! Ya it's a heavy beast.. about 270 pounds wet or so maybe a little under powered. However this being my first bike and me weighting in at about 160 and being 6'1" it fits me well and isn't as intimidating as a normal height bike.

There's plenty of power for me to putt around the trails with, and I have been able to navigate through tree's and up and down hills just fine with it. The bikes power or weight has not been a hinderance, except maybe when I'm loading and unloading it in my 4x4.

I did replace the exhaust to try and get what ever theoretical power I could out of it and to make the bike a little louder so people would hopefully hear me coming down the trail.

The suspension is similar to an old caddy, so it's a little mushy but it soaks up the bumps pretty well. I haven't done any serous MX type jumps, mostly the water break type stuff. I have to be ready to get jolted as the forks bottom. The rear shock does fine, but I think I can make it a little more stiff, while the front shocks are non-adjustable.

The electric start is one of the best characteristics. Nice to have it when I stall out (my fault) going up some crazy hill.

Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
hey great info i may have to try some of that n mine.. also for you fork problem i solved that. I changed out the fork oil and put in a heavier weight and also put like 3 onces extra. this helped a lot with the bottoming and it still soaks up the bumps like nothing. I really like my bike also just hate the high price of replacement parts.. Like i said thanks for the info..

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
Hondaman_06, what did it take to replace the fork oil? I guess I should look in my service manual and find out, but that book can be misleading... those fork tubes don't come out as easy as the pictures make it look.

Ya replacement parts are a pain. Just about everything is a two week special order ordeal.

Last edited:

225madman

Sep 18, 2005
Ttr 225

I have a 2001 TTr 225. The ProTaper SE CR Hi bars are the best way to go for trail riding on that bike. That bike is also a good MX practice bike. Do you think i should go with big gun or fmf? Taking out the snorkel gave it a little difference it sounds better too. Check out www.mxbike.com for there unversal clutch and brake levers the also have aftermarket footpegs for the 225.
James

Top Bottom