My very bad to the bone track truck

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
A little over a year ago, I bought a friend’s 94 model Z71 4X4 Chevy Truck. It had 118000 miles on it but was very clean. My goal was to freshen it up a bit and use it as my daily driver and track truck. I did all the basic stuff; (i.e, suspension and brake rebuild) then turned towards the drive train. This truck comes with a throttle body injected 350 backed up by a 4L60E transmission and 3.42 gears. The motor is rated at 210HP stock. Here’s what I did.

· Pulled and disassembled motor. Surprised to not find a roller cam.
· Had short block balanced and blueprinted with .030 over flat top forged pistons.
· Installed Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft.
o 212/218 @ 0.050 duration
o 488/495 lift
· Installed Edlebrock E-Tec 170 Aluminum cylinder heads. These are Vortec style heads with improvements. 10 to 1 compression ratio with flat top pistons.
· Installed GMPP intake manifold with intake ports opened to 2” each.
· Installed Holley 670 CFM throttle body.
· Edelbrock headers.
· Crane HI-6 multi spark ignition.
· Computer reprogramming by Howell Engine Development.
· Rebuilt transmission with firm shift kit and 2000 RPM stall.
· Replaced in-tank fuel pump with unit from a 454 SS Truck.
· K&N Air filter system.

It’s not a hot rod now but it is a very strong running 4X4 truck. I’ve had some fun with various sports cars that can’t understand how a 4X4 truck could be pulling away from them. On the other hand, I must admit that I’ve had my lunch handed to me by a fully modified Power Stroke F-250. I had no idea those things could run like that. He whipped my so handily I’m not even sure he new I was standing on it. So it just goes to show you, there’s always someone out there faster than you. :o

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Edelbrock makes a multi point EFI kit to replace the TBI on those. Sounds like a killer set-up though. Roller cams usually came stock on the Vettes and F-bodies not to common in the trucks.

Steve

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Sounds like a nice rig.

I hear what you're saying about those PSD's though.....my brother's got an '02 F250 with the PSD. All he's done is throw in a Super Chip, and a good 4" exhaust system (can't remember what brand), and the thing is un-godly fast! Its really something to watch the speedo needle sweep, while the tach stays locked at 3,000 RPM.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I'd like to set a street duty roots style blower on it. The Crane ignition has the ability to retard timing based on psi and I could have another chip burned for the appropriate fuel curve. That would probably help me hang with those Power Stroke Diesels. But at this point in time, it's just a dream. The 98KX250 needs to be replaced. If the economy can settle down, I've got my eye on a 525SX or YZF450. Oh yea!!!! :aj:

Top Bottom