IT1985

Oct 24, 2007
Well, here is my winter project, a 1997 Yamaha RT 180 that I purchased locally a few months ago.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/sniper00006/Bikes/IMG_0163.jpg

The thing about it is, it had a bad transmission in it, it made a weird metal grinding sound in 2nd gear and ther was absolutely no 4th gear in the bike. So I bought a new transmission and threw that in, and $200 dollars later the engine is running fine and like it was brand new. But there is only one thing, its slow as heck.

Last week an envelope arrived in the mail with a set of boyesen power reeds in it, I couldnt find a reason not to order them, after all, I have never used them before. Now the bike seems like it has actually lost power after I put them in, but I suspect that I have to adjust the jetting so that it gives the bike a little more fuel. I was trying to get up small hills with it yesterday and I almost always had to shift down into 1st gear when I was doing less than 10mph.

I hear that it has the same engine as a blaster in it, and from what I can see, its pretty dang close. So, knowing that a blaster has an IT200 engine in it, I was wondering if it would be possible to make this bike as fast as an IT 200.

What I want to do is take an IT200 carb, which I have on hand, and see if I can throw it into the RT. The RT has a smaller carb than that IT does, the IT has a 42mm and the RT has like, a 25mm. So I think that this may be the reason that the bike is so weak and diferrent than the IT.
Having owned both bikes, and opening them up, I can safely say that there is a big diferrence power-wise.

The IT has a bigger boost-bottle in it, with a bigger carb too, it also has a few more CCs, but there is still a huge diferrence between the two bikes.

Anyone think that this will work? The IT runs off of premix, and the RT has injection, but I think that I can work my way around it somehow, either by running the RT off of premix and taking the oil injection out, or by plugging that tube that runs to the carb from the injection pump.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I had a 1990 RT180, and yes, they are a tad (sarcasm there) sluggish. I didn't bother to do any mods, I just graduated up to a YZ250. They are fun bikes to play around on, I beat the living crap out of mine, and it just kept going. Like my snowmobile, I loved the oil injection, no worries, just keep the reservoir full. Then I turned into a mad scientist with all the mixing of different oils and fuels on the YZ.

Good luck, the RT180 is a pooch, I hope you can find a way to light her up!

IT1985

Oct 24, 2007
Yeah, I like the oil injection too, I sold my 1978 DT400 to get the money for it, and man is there a diferrence between the bikes.

Oil injection makes it smoke too much though, and I cant do anything about it because I have no idea how the heck you adjust them.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
The injection on sleds is far more advanced (IMHO) than it is on the RT, thus less smoke. My MXZ700 Renegade barely smoked at all and ran like a top.

You can eliminate the oil injection and just run premix. I did that on my old TY250, it made quite the difference.

IT1985

Oct 24, 2007
The first thing that I intend on doing, is trying to get the IT carb to work on the RT. At first Im going to run unleaded gas through the carb, and just use the oil injection system.

But Im probably going to resort to premix because I may have to remove the oil injection tank and all that crap where the airbox would have to go.

I have never had a sled before, Id like to get one, but the winters are getting just too damn mild here.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yeah, don't blow your money on a sled, unless you live in the Great White North. Mucho maint. and operation costs. I lost my butt on my sled, bought it new, and barely rode it, no snow that year (figures). :bang:

Top Bottom