Mystery Hole on bottom of 220 Motor?? Help

piedkuiper

Mar 24, 2003
I was installing a skid plate on my 2003 KDX 220 last night and noticed a small hole about .2 in. in diameter right next to the coolant drain. What is that hole for? Is there suppose to be a plug in it? I thought maybe it was some sort of coolant blow by hole in the event of a water pump shaft seal failure in order to avoid water in the crankcase, but not sure. Couldn't think of anything else it would be. Anyone know? Thanks!!

piedkuiper

Mar 24, 2003
I was under the impression that this forum was full of KDXperts. I asked a legitimate question that I have about my bike and all I got was a smart ass response. The answer to my question might be obvious to most here but it was not to me, that is why I asked it. What gives?

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
It is an atmosphere vent hole between the water pump seal and the oil seal for the shaft that runs the water pump.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
It was a joke, man. I asked the same question last year - that's why I linked to the thread where shr answered.

Sorry my Friday night humor got the best of me.:confused:

piedkuiper

Mar 24, 2003
Sorry Dude, didn't see the link. New to this forum thing. I guess I just might be an idiot after all.......................thanks

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
When your mouse runs over a link, it highlights it - not all links are obvious - which is why (apart from being lazy) some of us just type in the url ;)

You won't often get a smart-ass comment from anyone (unless there's a thread with a samish question just below it). If you think someone's being smart, take a closer look at the post. (as soon as I saw jayhawk's post I thought, betya he asked the same question at some stage lol).

& nah, not an idiot, just quick to jump to conclusions ;) (btw, it's "idiot thread" that's the link).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If IDIOT THREAD looked like IDIOT THREAD, it would be a bit more intuitive to a casual observer. ;)

BTW, I've missed more than one 'unmarked' link....so don't worry your 'lil self about the 'idiot' part. We're pretty much all in there at some time or other.

Besides which, 23jay was pretty much calling himself the 'idiot'..not you.

Smiles all round!!! :)

Swarty1

Jan 7, 2002
If you are having a problem with coolant loss pay attention to that hole. Unlike pre 96 models which the coolant went into the crancase if the pump seal goes south, the newer? models vent to the atmosphere should a pump seal issue arise. Very difficult to detect and invaribly only leaks in that 27 mile section with no resets.
Swarty

Top Bottom