RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Some background…a few rides ago all of the screws on the clutch side (the main clutch and access cover) loosened up and oil leaked out all over the place. I didn’t notice it until I was washing the bike because it was a pretty muddy ride. I snugged everything back up and changed the oil. I didn’t loose enough oil to be a problem.

I thought all was OK but when riding this past weekend I saw some oil pooling up on top of the clutch case. Once I got back to the truck I rechecked the screws and only the clutch access cover ones were loose. I thought maybe the cover O-ring was damaged so I pulled the cover off. It looked fine but to make sure I smeared some Locktite 518 gasket eliminator on it and a dab on each screw (quasi thread lock) and put it back together.

During the afternoon I saw more oil. :( I run 50cc’s extra oil and it wasn’t leaking too bad so I kept riding. On the way home I thought maybe I had too much oil in it…did I drain the tranny before I added oil the last time? :ohmy: I wouldn’t put it past my memory!! I removed the oil level check screw and only about ¼ cup of oil came out--that accounted for the extra 50cc’s. I’ve run extra oil for years and never had a problem.

The oil is only on the top. Nothing is leaking from the bottom of the case.

Some things I already thought of besides the above:
- Cracks, etc --found none. I use an enduro skid plate so it’s pretty well protected
- Kick starter seal leaking? --it was dry around the seal
- Main clutch cover gasket leaking? --maybe. I retightened the screws but maybe some dirt got lodged in the gap.
- Is the oil coming out of the tranny breather? --could be but to be honest I have no idea where it is…or if this motor even has one

My next step is to just bite the bullet and change the main cover gasket but if I’m missing something simple I’d be kicking myself. Anyone have any ideas?

Here’s a picture. I cleaned off the area that’s leaking so please ignore the filth everywhere else. :yikes:

Attachments

• Oil leak.jpg
    Oil leak.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 234

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
No way oil getting past the kick starter seal could go uphill, over the hump and pool there. No cracks, and no breather. Being paper, I'd lean towards the crank cover gasket either being damaged or possibly crap lodged inbetween. The clutch cover uses an o-ring and wouldn't be prone to damage from the cover being loose. I'd replace the r/s crankcase cover gasket. Because of the possibility that dirt got into the crankcase you need to change the oil no matter what. One thing that you could try is to cover the area with baby powder then ride it around for a bit. The powder should make it pretty easy to follow the path of the oil.

The other possibility would be cracking in the pipe allowing spooge to drip and collect there but I'm sure you know the difference.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thanks
Yeah, I'm really leaning towards just replacing the gasket. It's not that hard to do but I have to remove the skid plate first and I know the bolt heads are all rounded off and frozen in place. Not fun.

Funny you mentioned the baby powder, I was going to try that anyway.

Definetly not spooge from the pipe

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
It's your bike telling you it's time for a complete rebuild.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
WoodsRider said:
It's your bike telling you it's time for a complete rebuild.
OK GayRider :nener:

The clutch gasket is leaking and I have one on order (should be in today).

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
RM_guy said:
OK GayRider :nener:

The clutch gasket is leaking and I have one on order (should be in today).

Enough with the homo-erotic fantasies are you going to have that yellow thing fixed by 7/14 or what?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'll have it fixed tonight anf will be ridng at Lost Trails in PA next Friday. Do you want to ride?

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Riding both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Leak is gone...but when I started it up my kill switch didn't work. I had a broken wire in the harness and once that was fixed she ran fine :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom