Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
The next off-road riding class will be September 8th, at Downieville, followed by a guided trailride on Sunday September 9th.

The class is becomming quite popular, I have only four spots left and six confirmed entries. There will be no classes in October and November, so don't wait for the next one, sign up now.

The cost is $100.00 for both days. Sundays trailride is for riders taking the class. The cost is only $75.00 for riders who have attended a previous class or classes in several cases.

The class is intended for riders who have finished an Enduro or enjoy riding technical and challenging terrain.

To enter the September 8th & 9th class, please send a check to; Dave Wood
PO Box 815
Chicago Park, CA 95712
Please include your Name, address, phone #, email, bike and skill level. You should email me that your sending a check, so I can place your name on the list, again only four spots remain.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
August 4th riding class.

I was one of the attendees of the August class that Dave put on. The instruction he provided and the material he covered were well worth the money. Our class consisted of a lot of familiar faces and a couple of people with whom I was personnaly acquainted. Most are seen at the local District 36 enduros and hare scrambles. The majority were "B" class riders looking to improve their riding skills. Dave gave us what we wanted. I don't think anyone went away without recognizing improvement. For me, that improvement in a couple areas was impressive and dramatic.

The class started with an informal meeting of all at a breakfast spot in Downieville, CA. There we got a chance to introduce ourselves and say hello to friends who were there for the class. I saw a couple of guys I knew, one a DRN poster, and another person I always seem to camp beside at the hare scrambles. This helped smooth out some of the anticipatory jitters of the morning.

After breakfast, we caravaned down a dirt road a few miles to the actual starting place for the class. Once again, introductions and a brief overview of the class by Dave. During the overview, Dave mentioned we would be riding further up the dirt road we were parked on, and would probably encounter a land owner who had posted signs of "No tresspassing", "No Dirt Bikes", etc. on the county road. It seems there is always someone who wants to impose their agenda even when it is against the law. "Al", the landowner had been known to stand on the road to intimidate OHV'rs. Luckily, we didn't see 'ol Al.

In the course of the day, Dave introduced several skills on which we would work. He would introduce one at a time, and give you riding time to practice the skill while he and Mike Pascaralla (Sp?) watched and gave pointers. All the skills were introduced in environments that were fairly easy riding, but the skills were definately applicable to more technical riding adventures as we would find out by the end of the day.

Personally, I was amazed at how much more confident I was on areas that I had found concerning in the past. As an example, Dave had us work on dragging the front brake in turns to get the front tire to really stick. Believe me, it works! The last trail of the day was a pretty technical sidehill adventure with some vertical drops on one side to ensure the proper pucker rate was achieved. This trail also had some tight switchbacks that, with the soft, loose, and rocky terrain, would have had me considering walking around a few to avoid the consequence of a mistake, i.e. going off the vertical side. With the braking technique, not only was I riding around them, but I did it with some speed, and it was FUN!

Now having said that, I don't recommend that anyone in the Super Senior B class of District 36 attend Dave's classes. :p I am looking for a few first places this fall. :)

Seriously, I had a great time, enjoyed the time spent with my classmates, and immediately signed up for Dave's next class. Thanks Dave and Mike for the excellent adventure.

Last edited:

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
I too took Dave's class last weekend and BigBird said it all about the class. Being a "C" rider it was a good learning experience:) Now all I gotta do is find the time to keep practicing:( Dave thanks alot it was well worth it. Rode some of the most beautiful trails I have ever rode:) BigBird the best trails were on Sundays easy little ride:scream: Just a little note to ride safe, stay to left on trails if possible, don't need no headon's. Dave tell Mike to get better Thanks agin Dave. Kraig Traum

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Missed ride, etc.

Unkle Moose,

I really wished I could have stayed over for Sunday's ride. I will in September. Tell me more about the ride. I agree the trails were spectacular. I particularly enjoyed the point on Saturday where we stopped to look down on the two lakes to the left. Beautiful! :) :) :)

I also wish Mike a speedy recovery. For those reading this thread, on Saturday we had a head on between Mike, the instructor and two trail riders who were coming back on the trail/road we were headed out on. My take on this was someone wasn't thinking, and it wasn't Mike. We had split into two groups of five or six riders to work on a particular skill. Mike took his part of the group back on the trail about a mile to work. After Dave's group, of which I was a part, finished the exercises, Dave asked me to go back to Mike's group to tell them we had finished. Just before I left the two trail riders had come up, and were talking to Dave. I went back to Mike and his group with the message, and also added that there were two riders possibly coming back on the trail so, "be careful." When I got back to Dave's group, the two riders were just getting ready to leave. I also told them to be careful as five or six riders were coming up the trail. After all that, I guess they were riding side by side, and the left hand rider had a head on with Mike who was on his right hand side of the trail (actually a fire road) leading the group back to us. The result was a broken wrist for the trail rider and broken bones in Mike's left foot.

THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. Unkle Moose, I think you meant stay on the right hand side. :confused:

Last edited:

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
BigBird your right I did mean to stay on the RIGHT:o The trails we rode Sunday were even more spectacular and more demanding (in my opinion) then Saturday. I would like to tell you more about the trails, but Dave said if we told anyone we would have to Shootem':p Ride Safe & Ride Often and will see ya at the races. Kraig

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
The September 8th & 9th class at Downieville is full.

I am considering doing a class where the terrain is much less difficult, perhaps Nevada County, Foresthill, Georgetown or Stonyford. Let me know if your interested. This class would be geared to riders looking to improve, but would prefer riding easier trails. The class is not geared for beginners.

Dave Wood

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Since the September 8 and 9 class is sold out and I have had several requests to do another class before the fall AMA/D36 events begin. I will do another class at Downieville, on September 22 & 23.

You really can ride faster, safer and use less energy, join me September 22 & 23.

Dave Wood

Top Bottom