N. California Women's Enduro Series (D36)

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
D36 has agreed to run a Women's Fall Enduro Series in conjunction with the regular Enduro series. For us to pull this off we have to have a few women run the full series. Anyone interested?

Here's the nitty gritty details:
*Must enter 'Women's Class'
*Must start (cross the start line) Ya' don't have to finish for your entry to count.
*Enter in the Full series (4 races, Oct 20 & 27 and Nov 2 & 10)
*Course is the same course at the same time as all the other riders (Men etc.)
*Recieve end of year trophy if you enter/start entire series

Anyone up to the challange?

I'm still working on getting sponsors for year end prizes, so no promises there, but it's a possibility.

For information on the actual event's check the District 36 website at www.ama-d36.org
For info or questions on the Women's Series you can email me or post here.

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Racergirl76

I am interested but I have never ridden in an Enduro and I am not sure if I even understand what one is. I also have 2 other girls that would probably be interested. My bike is set up for MX right now, would I need any modifications like a larger tank, bark busters, a 4-stroke lol? Feel free to pm me with the information.
Thanks,
Gina

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Gina you don't need a larger tank, and you allready have barkbusters :) All I do for harescrambles is lighten up the suspension. But with an MX tank you will need to fill up a tad more, I go two laps usually in a LONG race meanwhile buddies with huge tanks can go 4, so just fill up more.

And a good rider on a 125 two-stroke will rip in the woods, light and agile. Notice the lack of 4-stroke's in racergirl's sig? :confused:

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
4 stroke? You mean that thing the guys keep bugging me to buy with electric start that weighs twice what my KTM does? Yea, it would be nice, but I'll ride what I can pick up and drag out of ditches when I find myself in such situations (frequently).

Tank: make sure you can do at least 50, if not 60 miles to a tank of gas. Some friends of mine carry the SIGG 1.5 litre bottle with pre-mixed gas and have had to use it. There is a gas stop (where your gas can will be waiting for you. Before the race, mark your can with duct tape and your 'minute number' Name etc. and put on the trailer set aside for that purpose)

Bark Buster's could be a good idea, protects your hands and levers, also if you find yourself picking the bike up somehow it's easier since the bike is off the ground an extra inch or so.

MX-Enduro conversion:
* Softening the suspension may be a good idea since you won't have the knarly jumps and landings as in MX (unless you find yourself Reeaally off course).
*Also consider changing the gearing. This summer I changed from a 14-46 to a 13-48 for tough, tight Idaho single track. HUGE difference, the taller gearing made the bike more controllable on the trail and kept me in a more usable powerband. I have yet to try it in California, but I'll probably keep it. Moral of the digression: taller gearing is better for trails.
*Powervalves. On some bikes minor adjustments to powervalves (if you have them) can make the bike seem like a whole different bike. I know of one TX KTMer who changes from a MX bike to a Enduro bike with a 1/4 turn of the powervalve. If this is of interest, look for someone who knows your bike and has done this before.

Additional mods/Equipment:
*Camelback (water supply and snackbar)
*Roll Chart holder (moose makes a very nice one) mounts to your handlebars.
*Digital wristwatch w/ relativly large numbers 'Installed' on the handlebars
I did reasonably well at the last family Enduro with the above components. I'm rarely fast enough to blow a check for being to early, except at a family enduro. Search the internet for 'Enduro Timekeeping' and you'll pick up the basics. If I find it, I'll post the link for a great article on timekeeping.

1st time Enduro Rider:
CERA puts on the Training Wheels event on October 13, at Foresthill(http://www.cera.org/tw2002.htm)
This is a great event to learn how an Enduro works, it's shorter and easier than a typical Enduro and has a great turnout in the Women's class. If you go up on Saturday night and camp, there is usually a timekeeping training course, plus you get to meet a lot of great chicks who ride.

Of note: an Enduro isn't a 'how fast can I go' race. It's a timed/thinking game. So, unlike MX or Harescrambles there aren't 100+ riders going for the same line. Every minute 4 people leave the startline and attempt to stick to the average speeds, what this means is, there isn't the need to protect your line, block, or worry so much about passing since everyone is racing their own clock time.

ktmchick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2002
:thumb:

Where do I sign up! I was planning on riding the fall enduros anyway, but it would be great to have something to aim for. Only question, what happens if you can't make one of the races? Mick and I are racing the Elsinore GP and it's on the weekend of the 9th and 10th November, so we won't be able to race the WFO. Does that mean I'm out of the series?

BTW - Here's a couple of links on enduro timekeeping, read up on it and then the easiest way to understand it is to just get out there and do one. A family enduro is an easy way to practice as they are a little slower and give you a bit more time to work on your timekeeping.
http://www.enduro.4t.com/links.htm
http://www.blackjackenduro.com/Basics.asp
http://www.ecea.org/enduro/firsttime.shtml

Thanks Kyra for getting this thing rolling. If you need any help give us a yell.

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
I'll check with the Enduro Steward at next months board meeting about ktmchick's question. My big concern was getting the series going, which requires a few girls that do enter all the races. Unofficially, I don't think it will put you out of the series, It would just affect your points.

Also, I'm considering asking each Enduro Coordinator to set aside 5 minutes or so as 'Women's Start Minutes' so we could be together (including our male riding partner's if so desired). What does everyone think about that? Too much catering to the women? Do we want to ride that close to each other? Would you rather ride on whatever minute your given? Of note: the women's line would be a courtesy, NOT a requirement for the series.

Last edited:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Great idea, Kyra!

I'm very interested, but the reality is that I have kids duty for two weekends (Buddy is riding in the races with his son, so I'm going to stay home with the other two), and I'm riding GP on the weekend of Nov. 10 like Belinda, so I don't think I can participate......too bad.

I hope many women will be riding the series of Enduro, and your idea will come true. Good luck!

Mini
PS I hope to ride with you again sometime...maybe after rain.

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
I'm considering asking each Enduro Coordinator to set aside 5 minutes or so as 'Women's Start Minutes'

I would guess that this would require a rulebook ammendment, since the rulebook specifies how numbers are assigned (drawing order, etc). Clubs can get away with doing the "Family Section" in a Family Enduro because they are categorized as Special Events, which have fewer rules.

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by treefinder

I would guess that this would require a rulebook ammendment

True, I hadn't checked the rule book when I thought of it. I was thinking of the minutes set aside for the Family Enduro, which is a special event in itself.

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
Update: Once again, Moose is showing it's support for the women!!!!
A huge thanks to Moose for sponsoring this Women's Enduro Series. UPS keeps dropping off boxes of stuff for the Enduro series. There are enough contingency prizes to go around! Probably enough for everyone that enters!

Kyra

Top Bottom