steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hi, anyone out there used namura tech pistons on their two stroke? i see them for sale on that auction site and they seem to be priced quite well compared to the wiseco pistons.
ive always used wiseco in the past and never had a problem, but these namura pistons apparently have a teflon coated skirt that helps prevent scuffing.sounds like a good idea, just wondering if anyone had an opinion on this?
thanks.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I've been curious about them, too. Hope someone with experience chimes in here. I went with Pro-X on my KX- have used them in my KDX and previous KX. But I've been curious about the Namura and Vertex.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I have had bad luck with namura's on other bikes that were rebuilt with those pistons. mainly my banshee's and an 87 250r fourtrax. Wouldn't dare put them in my RM250 after the hassles I dealt with when they were in other bikes. Stick to wiseco

roadhor

Jun 2, 2004
I just rebuilt a KX85 & used a Namura Tech piston in it . We haven't ran it long enough to see if it'll be ok or not , but one of my ridding buddies said he's used them in 4 stroke quad engines & they all busted the skirt off. One good thing about it is a 2stroke is pretty cheap to rebuild when & if it does let go.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Namura pistons are made by ART, the same as OEM for most manufactureres, no? Namura just coats them. The coatings are ok, many OEM's use them in cars nowadays. I wouldn't pay extra for the coating, though. The piston rings seem to wear out well before the piston skirts so you would see minimal benefit of a longer piston skirt life. As cheap as I am with everything else, I still use Wiseco pistons.

To anybody who is breaking skirts off of pistons, they're either running them well beyond their service life or their piston to cylinder clearances are way to wide. Forged pistons like Wisecos are more tolerant of loose clearances, but cast pistons hold up ok when everything is set up properly.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
thanks for the replys guys. im thinking that for the extra $25-$30 that a wiseco piston costs i will stick to them and not bother with the namura piston. i didnt realise they were made by ART, they are the same group that make pro-x i believe so they should be ok. but it comes down to the whole forged vs cast thing like 76GMC said.

Top Bottom