Narrowed my choice down to 2 bikes, need opinions

95Jersey

Aug 30, 2012
So, I narrowed my search down to 2 bikes. The KTM 350 EXC-F and the Husky TXC310R. Now these bikes are not necessarily natural competitors. The KTM is 100% street legal and the TXC310R is not. Husqvarna's street legal bike is the TE310R. I am looking for the closest thing to a hardcore off-road motocross type bike. I currently ride a YZ250 (2 stroke) and want a 4 stroke than I can drive 1-5 miles on the road to the nearest trails legally. I live in NJ and registering anything but a designated street legal enduro is impossible. Even transfering street legal titles on a non-street legal bike has been cracked down upon and is almost impossible.

So, the KTM is street legal...period. The Husky is not officially, BUT the Husky dealer will absolutely guarantee that he will get me a street legal tag for the bike. He sells a headlight and tailight kit with a plate bracket and says if he can't get a tag for me, he will give me my money back. He says he rides one to and from work every day with a tag. The TXC is their offroad EXC equivalant (more motocross than enduro). Now the EXC-F is $9699 and the TXC is $7999. I would have to add another $300 for the head and tail light kit to the TXC.

So which one is the better choice? The KTM has alll the bells and whisltes which make it 10lbs heavier (horn, turn signals, mirrors and emissions equipment) 241lbs. The Husky is a true offroad bike and only weights 231lbs. Keep in mind mirrors and turn signals are NOT required in NJ to make a bike legal, only a plate, headlight and tailight. So do I pay more money and get the heavier KTM or do I get the Husky that gets converted by the dealer with a guarantee that I will get a street legal plate? The Husky is cheaper and lighter but gives up over 40CC to the KTM. Keep in mind adding a head and tail light will probably be 3-5lbs on the Husky and I can remove the mirrors on the KTM and kick stand.

So if you were going to pick which bike would be the better offroad performer, with the assumption that both are street legal? I need street legal and money is not a huge issue as I will finance, so an extra $20 per month for the more expensive bike is not a deal breaker. I just want to get the bike that perform the best off road, best powerband, best handling and most motocross like.

Oh and another factor, the KTM dealer is 30 minutes away, the Husky dealer 1.5 hours away. Are parts cheaper or more expensive for a particular brand? reliability? I am not looking for a 500cc bike as they are too heavy for nimble off-road use in my opinion and I have no interest in top speed.

Top Bottom