National Arenacross Series Press Day

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
ClearChannel Press Release

John Dowd isn’t afraid to admit he’s nervous about his National Arenacross début. Dowd, a former factory Yamaha rider on the supercross circuit, signed a contact with the newly formed Empire Racing/Factory Suzuki team to compete in all 12 rounds of the National Arenacross Series. The first of 12 rounds kicks off at the Pepsi Arena in Albany, N.Y. this weekend.

“Actually, I don’t know what to expect,” said Dowd at the press conference. “This is all new to me. I am used to riding and shifting gears, but with this you ride, jump and turn in a matter of seconds. Everything happens so fast out there. I’m pretty nervous.”

After making the decision to race the arenacross tour, Dowd has spent every possible moment getting ready for the season.

“I have been training a lot at my house with my teammate Jim Neese,” said Dowd. “I built about four or five tracks at my house.”

Dowd’s arrival to the arenacross ranks as a former factory rider adds brings the competition to another level. Five-time arenacross champion Buddy Antunez, a former factory Suzuki rider, signed a deal to ride Hondas.

“It’s exciting to have John racing with us this year,” said Antunez. “He brings a lot of experience to the table. With him here, I expect the competition to be the best it’s even been.”

Kawasaki’s Darcy Lange finished the first practice session with the fastest lap time over Tommy Hofmaster. Reigning champion Josh Demuth has the sixth fastest lap in the opening practice.

Top Bottom