Nationals no longer just JBS's he has some company

oldguy

Always Broken
This could get really interesting. Stewart has another disaster week and he could be looking at a battle to the finish for the championship. Here are the points for the top 8 after week 7 at Thunder Valley. Stewart bangs himself up again and sits out a moto it will be tight in points
1 265 J. Stewart
2 241 R. Carmichael
3 239 T. Ferry
4 237 A. Short
5 224 M. Alessi
6 213 G. Langston
7 203 K. Windham
8 172 D. Millsaps

It wasnt too much of a disaster, he still left with the overall and as a result he really didint give up any championship points to anyone. But I have to agree, with Stewart a bit banged up right now anything could happen.

oldguy

Always Broken
JST122 said:
It wasnt too much of a disaster, he still left with the overall and as a result he really didint give up any championship points to anyone. But I have to agree, with Stewart a bit banged up right now anything could happen.
More referring to the race before as a disaster when he gave up 50 points by not racing at all. Now just sitting out a moto and losing 25 points would put the pack right on him

Yeah no question about it, if Stewart DNF's another moto at some point this championship will be up for grabs. Its too bad Ferry had the DNF at Southwick while he was running third, if he hadnt, and assuming he could have held onto third, he would only be 6 points back right now. The 11th place first moto in Colorado doesnt help much either.

I am really looking forward to Washougal, it should be real interesting to see if James feels any better by then and if the rest of the pack can hang with him again.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Ferry has been riding great!

He crashed twice in the 1st moto in Colorado, but was the fastest rider on the track for most of the moto. At Unadilla, he was 3rd well into the last lap of Moto 1, but tipped over and got pushed down to 5th.

jsned

Subscriber
How the heck is RC in 2nd? He overalled every race he did and only missed one. Stewart got 2nd everytime and missed one. Or am I missing something?

IndyYZ85 said:
He missed Unadilla and Lakewood.. That'd be 2 races.
...And a possible 100 points that he pretty much gave away. Its pretty amazing he is still in second after sitting out those two rounds.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
JST122 said:
...And a possible 100 points that he pretty much gave away. Its pretty amazing he is still in second after sitting out those two rounds.

He never intended to run the season, so he didn't really give anything away.

It seems like there are a lot of people who think he's still gonna come back and race MX again.

I know he didnt intend to run the season. But by skipping the last two races he essentially gave up 100 points because you cant win the points if your not there, and if he was there, those points would have been his. Just like he will give up another 50 points this weekend at Washougal. Its irrelevant that he didnt intend to run the whole season, its still impressive that he can skip 2 rounds and not compete for 100 possible points, yet he still remains 2nd in points.

He'll be back to race Millville but I believe him when he says that the Des Nations is his last race. The guy has nothing left to prove, it is clear he is the finest Motocross rider ever. I dont think there is any question if he ran this whole season he would have won another Championship, barring no unforseen crashes, injuries or bike failures. Stewart kept him in sight at a few of the races but if you went to any of the Nationals you could clearly see RC has him covered.

Short impressive....

Langston is the hot guy right now, and it probably going to steal that 3rd spot away from Short. But I gotta give Shorty some props for what is so far a great season for him.

weimedog

Damn Yankees
Any one notice that both Ben Townley and Ryan Villipoto had fast lap times in the 2:18 range while RC's fast time was in the 2:19 range? Looks like JS will have some fun when these two guys get to the big class.

My bet is if James Stwart comes back next week (and his spirit hasn't been broken by RC's first five race performances & the obvious implications to his place in history) he wins again.

If he misses another race my chips are on Grant Langston. He's a tough customer who has in the past been able to win championships. Looks like he's got the right attitude at the right time. When BT and RV show up in the big class along with a return of a healthy James Stewart...thats when we will see the real racing again. Until then its the..replacements all over again. Fun but nothing like the show Stewart and Carmicheal have put on over the last couple of years. I think Grant Langston will raise above the replacement attitude and status and be a contender.

oldguy

Always Broken
weimedog said:
Any one notice that both Ben Townley and Ryan Villipoto had fast lap times in the 2:18 range while RC's fast time was in the 2:19 range? Looks like JS will have some fun when these two guys get to the big class.
They were also riding on freshly groomed track both motos. The track condition between what the lites class rode and the MX class was definitely in the lites favor to post a fast time.
It was hard to believe how deeply rutted the track became each time before the MX class came out

cnielse5

Subscriber
How about the tie for the Championship now? I honestly hope Short Gets it. He doesn't even have a ride for next year as Far as I know.

Edit. Shorty has one year left on the honda contract! :cool:

Last edited: