Nationals no longer just JBS's he has some company

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
This could get really interesting. Stewart has another disaster week and he could be looking at a battle to the finish for the championship. Here are the points for the top 8 after week 7 at Thunder Valley. Stewart bangs himself up again and sits out a moto it will be tight in points
1 265 J. Stewart
2 241 R. Carmichael
3 239 T. Ferry
4 237 A. Short
5 224 M. Alessi
6 213 G. Langston
7 203 K. Windham
8 172 D. Millsaps

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
It wasnt too much of a disaster, he still left with the overall and as a result he really didint give up any championship points to anyone. But I have to agree, with Stewart a bit banged up right now anything could happen.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
JST122 said:
It wasnt too much of a disaster, he still left with the overall and as a result he really didint give up any championship points to anyone. But I have to agree, with Stewart a bit banged up right now anything could happen.
More referring to the race before as a disaster when he gave up 50 points by not racing at all. Now just sitting out a moto and losing 25 points would put the pack right on him

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Yeah no question about it, if Stewart DNF's another moto at some point this championship will be up for grabs. Its too bad Ferry had the DNF at Southwick while he was running third, if he hadnt, and assuming he could have held onto third, he would only be 6 points back right now. The 11th place first moto in Colorado doesnt help much either.

I am really looking forward to Washougal, it should be real interesting to see if James feels any better by then and if the rest of the pack can hang with him again.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ferry has been riding great!

He crashed twice in the 1st moto in Colorado, but was the fastest rider on the track for most of the moto. At Unadilla, he was 3rd well into the last lap of Moto 1, but tipped over and got pushed down to 5th.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
How the heck is RC in 2nd? He overalled every race he did and only missed one. Stewart got 2nd everytime and missed one. Or am I missing something?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
IndyYZ85 said:
He missed Unadilla and Lakewood.. That'd be 2 races.

...And a possible 100 points that he pretty much gave away. Its pretty amazing he is still in second after sitting out those two rounds.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
JST122 said:
...And a possible 100 points that he pretty much gave away. Its pretty amazing he is still in second after sitting out those two rounds.

He never intended to run the season, so he didn't really give anything away.

It seems like there are a lot of people who think he's still gonna come back and race MX again.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I know he didnt intend to run the season. But by skipping the last two races he essentially gave up 100 points because you cant win the points if your not there, and if he was there, those points would have been his. Just like he will give up another 50 points this weekend at Washougal. Its irrelevant that he didnt intend to run the whole season, its still impressive that he can skip 2 rounds and not compete for 100 possible points, yet he still remains 2nd in points.

He'll be back to race Millville but I believe him when he says that the Des Nations is his last race. The guy has nothing left to prove, it is clear he is the finest Motocross rider ever. I dont think there is any question if he ran this whole season he would have won another Championship, barring no unforseen crashes, injuries or bike failures. Stewart kept him in sight at a few of the races but if you went to any of the Nationals you could clearly see RC has him covered.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
Short impressive....

Langston is the hot guy right now, and it probably going to steal that 3rd spot away from Short. But I gotta give Shorty some props for what is so far a great season for him.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Any one notice that both Ben Townley and Ryan Villipoto had fast lap times in the 2:18 range while RC's fast time was in the 2:19 range? Looks like JS will have some fun when these two guys get to the big class.

My bet is if James Stwart comes back next week (and his spirit hasn't been broken by RC's first five race performances & the obvious implications to his place in history) he wins again.

If he misses another race my chips are on Grant Langston. He's a tough customer who has in the past been able to win championships. Looks like he's got the right attitude at the right time. When BT and RV show up in the big class along with a return of a healthy James Stewart...thats when we will see the real racing again. Until then its the..replacements all over again. Fun but nothing like the show Stewart and Carmicheal have put on over the last couple of years. I think Grant Langston will raise above the replacement attitude and status and be a contender.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
weimedog said:
Any one notice that both Ben Townley and Ryan Villipoto had fast lap times in the 2:18 range while RC's fast time was in the 2:19 range? Looks like JS will have some fun when these two guys get to the big class.
They were also riding on freshly groomed track both motos. The track condition between what the lites class rode and the MX class was definitely in the lites favor to post a fast time.
It was hard to believe how deeply rutted the track became each time before the MX class came out

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
How about the tie for the Championship now? I honestly hope Short Gets it. He doesn't even have a ride for next year as Far as I know.

Edit. Shorty has one year left on the honda contract! :cool:

Last edited:

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
oldguy said:
They were also riding on freshly groomed track both motos. The track condition between what the lites class rode and the MX class was definitely in the lites favor to post a fast time.
It was hard to believe how deeply rutted the track became each time before the MX class came out

I was at millville yesterday and I would 100% agree with that. We sat at the same spot just about the whole time and had a front row seat for about a 300ft section of the track. It was crazy to watch how beat up the track became between MX lites moto1 and MX moto2. The smooth entrance into the corner became a mini whoop section. That slows even the fastest guys down.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
kawicam250 said:
so what are the pt. standings now?
RC is retiring and still beats Stewart :|

1 311 T. Ferry
2 311 A. Short
3 300 G. Langston
4 292 M. Alessi
5 291 R. Carmichael
6 290 J. Stewart
7 254 K. Windham
8 207 D. Vuillemin
9 186 D. Millsaps
10 168 M. Byrne
11 151 G. Gracyk
12 138 I. Tedesco
13 128 J. Summey
14 105 J. Thomas
15 92 K. Lewis
16 86 J. Alessi
17 84 T. Adams
18 77 R. Clark
19 64 A. Balbi
20 59 S. Skinner
21 41 J. Dowd
22 38 C. Reed
23 34 R. Mills
24 34 A. Chatfield
25 29 N. Wey
26 27 C. Siebler
27 23 B. Garrison
28 18 Y. Atsuta
29 13 C. Whitcraft
30 13 K. Mace
31 12 K. Summers
32 12 J. Sipes
33 10 D. Dehaan
34 9 A. Narita
35 9 M. Lapaglia
36 8 K. Keylon
37 7 R. Dietrich
38 7 T. Hadsell
39 6 B. Johnson
40 6 C. Blose
41 5 K. Partridge
42 4 B. Carsten
43 4 T. Lorusso
44 3 C. Charbonneau
45 3 J. Morrison
46 2 Y. Fukudome
47 2 C. Wallace
48 2 J. Hazel
49 1 M. Sleeter
50 1 J. Povolny

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
I'm really torn this year......

I'd love to see Langston get it, and the smart money would probably go on his at this moment with his history.

But Ferry is probably the most deserved of all... I mean after all these years of bouncing around in the top 10, for him to get it would be amazing.

The guy who has GOT to be kicking himself is Kevin Windham..... Here is a guy who has finished #2 to RC more than anyone, and he could no take advantage of RCs retirement because of JBS.... and now JBS is out and K-Dub is having one of his worst years in MX....

I wonder if Chad Reed wishes he had stayed in the game.... he probably is the champ this season if he races every week.....but I guess we'll never know....

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
funkypunk97 said:
I wonder if Chad Reed wishes he had stayed in the game.... he probably is the champ this season if he races every week.....but I guess we'll never know....
Probably not, since he doesn't like getting his mangina dirty, and he has to rest up for his next warrior-like performance in SX

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
XRpredator said:
Probably not, since he doesn't like getting his mangina dirty, and he has to rest up for his next warrior-like performance in SX
:laugh:

That's probably true..... I know he has a sensitive mangina......

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
funkypunk97 said:
The guy who has GOT to be kicking himself is Kevin Windham..... Here is a guy who has finished #2 to RC more than anyone, and he could no take advantage of RCs retirement because of JBS.... and now JBS is out and K-Dub is having one of his worst years in MX....

Probably not, if you pay close attention Kevin has been riding for the paycheck. I hate to be the one to say this, as I was a big fan of his at one time, but his heart is not in it. A veteran of mx does not go out and make the mistakes and comments that Kevin has made in the last two years.

His talent has carried him to some nice paydays.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
D Lafleur said:
Probably not, if you pay close attention Kevin has been riding for the paycheck. I hate to be the one to say this, as I was a big fan of his at one time, but his heart is not in it. A veteran of mx does not go out and make the mistakes and comments that Kevin has made in the last two years.

His talent has carried him to some nice paydays.

I agree.....

I used to be a big K-Dub fan, but when I saw Alessi putting him into corners with no protest from the #14 I lost a lot of respect for his racing...

K-Dub is a great guy, I met him once at Broome/Tioga and you just can't help but like the guy. And I can't blame him for collecting money for his family. But if the guy had just kept it together for another season or two, he could be in the drivers season.

Face it, over the past decade Windham has been the second best MX racer in the world most of the time. 2003 was one of the most amazing MX seasons I ever saw with him and RC fighting every single race.

But he's 28 years old, he's got no excuse for not being in this championship battle when the guy who might win it is 32, and the (still fastest) racer in the world in 27 and retiring early as the best rider in history.....

Top Bottom