Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
:cool: Big thumbs up to the NBA, now they should institute the immediate execution plan for some of the spectators that go out of their way to rile the players, :aj:

NBA Suspends Artest for Rest of Season

Email this Story

Nov 21, 6:19 PM (ET)

By CHRIS SHERIDAN

(AP) The NBA has suspended Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson of the Indiana Pacers and...

NEW YORK (AP) - Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday as the NBA came down hard on three members of the Indiana Pacers for fighting with fans when a melee broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, nine players from the teams were banned for 143 games, including some of the harshest penalties the league ever issued. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace - whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the 5-minute fracas - drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

Four players were suspended for a game apiece: Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson - who all threw punches at fans in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game Friday night - began serving their suspensions Saturday. Indiana, limited to just six players because of the suspensions and injuries, dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.

"The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from NBA players," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement, adding that the league must not "allow our sport to be debased by what seem to be declining expectations."

The NBA also has to "redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds," Stern said.

He added that security procedures in all NBA arenas will be reviewed and rules need to be added to prevent a repeat of what happened at Auburn Hills, Mich., on Friday.

The brawl was particularly violent, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near center court and throwing punches at fans after debris was tossed at the players.

Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal.

Nine people were treated for injuries, and police are investigating possible criminal charges.

Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard, two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the fight ended, the referees called off the rest of the game.

The initial skirmish wasn't all that bad, with Artest retreating to the scorer's table and lying atop it after Wallace sent him reeling backward. But when a fan tossed a cup at Artest, he stormed into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Jackson joined Artest and threw punches at fans, who punched back. At one point, a chair was tossed into the fray.

The most recent example of an NBA player going into the stands and punching a fan came in February 1995, when Vernon Maxwell of the Houston Rockets pummeled a spectator in Portland. The league suspended him for 10 games and fined him $20,000.

Among the harshest non-drug-related penalties in NBA history was a one-year suspension of Latrell Sprewell - later reduced to 68 games - for choking Golden State Warriors coach P.J. Carlesimo at practice.

Kermit Washington of the Los Angeles Lakers drew a 60-day (26-game) suspension in 1977 for a punch that broke the jaw of the Houston Rockets' Rudy Tomjanovich during a game, while Dennis Rodman was suspended 11 games for kicking a courtside cameraman in the groin and six games for head-butting a referee.

Artest was benched for two games this month for asking Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a rap album.

Artest was suspended twice by the NBA last season, once for leaving the bench during a fracas at a Pacers-Celtics playoff game; the other for elbowing Portland's Derek Anderson. During the 2002-03 season, Artest was suspended five times by the NBA and once by the Pacers for a total of 12 games.

Artest also once grabbed a television camera and smashed it to the ground after a loss to the Knicks two years ago

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Outstanding. I thought for sure this would be another of those slap on the wrist type deals. Glad to see the NBA stood their ground and issued severe penalties. This was a total embarrassment to the sport no doubt. I hope the guy ( in the stands ) that started it all gets his nads nailed to the wall as well.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would be surprised if this is the end of the matter as well. I would imagine Artest can expect to hear from the Detroit Police as well as a few different personal injury attorneys.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Didn't artest want some days off anyways too promote a cd?? NBA and Indiana should fire him!! Then go after the fan that originally started it all..
Rick

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How did the fan start it? I haven't seen anything but bits of the video.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Right after Artest and Ben Wallace had their scuffle, artest went and laid down on the scorekeepers table, if you watch closely, a drink hit him in the face/head.. But, he should of never went into the stands.. If i were one of the fans he came after, i'd go right for the knees :laugh:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Thats the way I saw it. I have no sympathy for any of the players invloved. Thr league is loaded with thugs. but I have been to some of these events and had to set close to some of these professional hecklers and they take it to the point where you can't enjoy the game. If I were on the floor and had to put up with a couple hours of the non stop heckling and then got blasted in the head with a full cup, it would be hard not to go into the stands after him

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
The amount of money these losers are paid to play a "game" is disgusting. Their egos, driven by wealth and perceived star status, leads them to believe that they are above the law and they act accordingly. They can (and do) easily buy their way out of any crime short of murder.

Would the world stop turning tomorrow if there were no NBA, NFL, MLB, or MLH games anymore? Hell no. What would happen should all the firemen, teachers, nurses, cops, sanitation workers, child care providers, and paramedics walked off the job for a few months? Bedlam and chos? Very likely.

Professional athletes real value to society is vastly overrated. They are big children playing a game people, and their salaries should reflect that.

We stopped watching and supporting professional sports in our home long ago. You'll very rarely see a game on our television, and we don't purchase any of their overpriced merchandise. I don't support the thugs on our streets corners, nor will I support the thugs on our airwaves.

The suspensions and fines for this and other violence in professional sports are not nearly enough to resolve the problem. Artest and anyone else who commits an act of violence, on or off the court, should be banned permanently, no appeals, no second chance. Appropriate criminal charges and jail time wouldn't be out of order either. When the fans get out of hand during a game, the players should simply walk off the court. End of story.

~getting off soapbox~

*edited for content*

Last edited:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I just saw this morning that they have slow motion video of the guy who tossed the cup of beer on Artest. They're trying to figure out if he's a season ticket holder, and if he is, no more games for him.

I'll guess Artest will have lots of free time to promote his rap album. The only thing I didn't have a problem with is the fan who ran on the floor and got in Artest's face. He was begging for a whippin' and had no business being on the floor, just like Artest had no business being in the stands.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Yep. What a bunch of idiots. The fans and players. I don't watch sports either. My wife watches football more than I do. College stuff. I'd rather be outside riding my dirtbike or something outdoorsy. The only athlete I truly respect is Lance Armstrong. Lance came back from the brink of death to win the Tour De France six times in a row. A feat no other mortal has ever done. The Tour is by far tougher than any football game or basketball game. It's 2,200 miles over hellacious terrain with 18% grades, extreme cold and high heat. Pro cyclists have crazy fans as well. Lance does all of this without any drugs despite false and unsupported claims by the jealous european media. He does it because he trains every single day. He rides 100 to 200 miles a day on his bike. Cycling is a lot more dangerous than football as well. In the tour, they reach speeds over 80 mph going around mountain curves lined with crazy fans on tires that are a half inch wide. People get killed racing bikes. He does all of this while raising millions upon millions of dollars for cancer research and survivorship, and donating millions of his own money to different causes. So, if you want an athlete that you can truly respect for the grueling sport they participate in and dedicate themselves to, and for all they do for humanity, Lance Armstrong is your man. Matt

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
About 8 years ago or so, I played a bass drum in the Oklahoma State University marching band. We played at a bowl game at the Dallas Cowboys stadium. We had fans sitting behind us who threw things at us the entire game. Drums and tubas seem to be their favorite target. You know how the tubas have those covers on them with a school logo or something? Those aren't for looks. They're to keep ice and chilli dogs out. During the game, I was getting pelted with ice. I got pissed and just as I looked up into the stand, I got nailed right in the eye with one of those giant pickles. Whoever threw it must have really winged it my way because I had a black eye for a week. Matt

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I don't think the NBA's penalties are enough the local authorities need to step in and and bring them up on charges as well. If a fan does something criminal he/she gets arrested where a player usually only gets league imposed penaties.

Steve

Firewalker

Aug 10, 2003
the only ones that the police should be charging are the fans. i consider that fight in the stands as bad as it was to be justified by the players. what did that fan expect?? to be able through something at a player ans not have any reprocutions.?? i don't know maybe i watched slapshot too many times.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yeah, two fans banned from all events at The Palace. They are also banned from a couple of other venues that are owned by Palace management. One of the guys was a season ticket holder I think.

Top Bottom