NC hare scrambles, getting started questions

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm thinking about entering my first NC hare scrambles race this year (probably Vet C class). Can anyone recommend a race/course that is good for a newbie to start out on? For example, I'm not interested in starting at Brushy Mtn because I know they have big uphill/downhill sections, and those will become bottlenecks with fallen riders all over the place.

I need to be able to go to work the next day. :)

Any tips on getting started?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

beargun

Feb 15, 2007
Try the NC Motorsports park, I am taking my son there for his first race ever this year .Devils Ridge should be pretty good . Also if you havent tried it yet go to the NCHSA . They have a website ,Lots of great guys and helpful too.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Try mideastinterstate.com click mideast for schedule. Their 1st race will be feb25th at bishopville SC its pretty much sandy not any hills to speak of that I can remember. NCHSA has good races also, the courses are a little tighter as they don't do a atv race.Check them out at yourrace.com. Daniels ridge is a good course also pilot Mtn. is fun.
Don't let the bottlenecks concern you their not that bad or often. Wet and rainy days will be when bottlenecks are the worse. Its not always because the hill is that hard to get up it just takes 1 rider to get stuck on a root and no way around and you've got a bottleneck. Mideast courses are not as tight and really don't have bottlenecks to speak of. Mideast and NCHSA are both good series just all in what you like.

Last edited:

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks for the info. I've been to the NCHSA website and was just wondering which course, if any, is best suited to a beginning racer (I've been riding for almost 4 years).

I've been thinking about trying a woods race for years now, and I'm trying to decide when and where to take the plunge.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Looks like NCHSA first race is at Daniels Ridge thats a good course you want have any problems there. Come down to the Mideast race on the 25th that'll be a good warm up race for you.
Just besure and come race don't come and watch that'll just make you mad that you didn't bring your bike.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Im going to be stationed at Camp lejuene next week. Im hoping I will have enough time to be able to do some riding and possibly get back into harescrambles. Are there any places to ride near the Camp? Im not familiar with N.C. all I know is the Camp is right next to the Ocean. Any help would be appreciated.

Benjamin

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Hey 91,
I was stationed at LeJeune many years ago. You should ride there. It is the largest Marine Corps base in the country. Plenty of trails and the tanks make some epic whoops.

Sgt. B (ret)

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Oorah Sgt. I will check it out when i get there. How far would it be to travel to some of the Hare Scrambles? What towns are the races usually near? Thanks for the help.

Benjamin

speedfreak93

Jan 31, 2007
Trashrider said:
Hey 91,
I was stationed at LeJeune many years ago. You should ride there. It is the largest Marine Corps base in the country. Plenty of trails and the tanks make some epic whoops.

Sgt. B (ret)

hi, I live in N.C. and i was wondering where i can get some infor about riding at lejeune. Every year when we go to the beach, we drive past it.

beargun

Feb 15, 2007
91kdx

You could ride at the Devils Ridge race in Sanford -two hours away, NC Motorsports park has a HS near Lousiburg- 2.5 hours away, then there is a new race in Asheboro this year which will be 3 hours or so for you to ride.Most of the other races are gonna be further west of you. :cool:

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Well it looks like Im not going to have very much time to ride after all. The unit I am hooked up with CLB 8 is schedualed to go to So. Cal for a month and train. Then its off to the sandpit in August, Oorah. I dont think Im even going to bother bringing my bike down here until I get back. Thanks for all the help anyways, I appreciate it!

Benjamin

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks to you and your fellow service members for your service to our country; WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

If it weren't for people like you, the rest of us wouldn't be able to ride or do anything else we wanted. GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Top Bottom