Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I've been complaining for the past two years (since starting to ride again) that my neck is the only part of my body that is not adequately protected while riding. I've put up with numerous abrasions and cuts due to face slappers but yesterday things got worse. I caught a vine (or should I say it caught me) around the neck while traveling at a good clip, ripping me off the bike. In the process it managed to leave a really nasty burn around 2/3 of my neck (hurts like hell). I'm actually lucky that it didn't break my neck.

My question is, is there any good protection for your neck? I've had a lot of people tell me that they use a bandana, but believe me that would not have made a difference yesterday. Nothing would have kept me from being taken off the bike yesterday, but I could live without the burn. How about chain mail (like a knight)?

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I just did the same thing back in August (didn't get ripped off, but the vine just ran and ran across my neck). Looked real bad at the office! I kept neosporin on it and it healed pretty quickly, but there is still what may end up as a scar.

I have not come up with any solutions (I did think of chainmail though
;) ) beyond having my neck surgically removed to lessen snags.

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
I caught a branch that had fallen to the ground wedged between two trees. The branch was about 1 inch in diameter and its end struck me straight on instead of across my neck. Talk about funky. It was like striking your funny bone times ten. I though I had done been sishka-babbed. The bad thing is when something comes straight at you that is small it is alot harder to see (ever wonder why so many people in cars pull out in front of street bikes?)

If the stick would have penetrated it most certaily would have went for the corotid artery. Scared the crap out of me.

I was hoping some kind of kevlar armor would come to be available.

BarkBuster

Feb 8, 2001
Lemming.........THERE IS SUCH A PRODUCT! Its made by EVS (known for their excellent braces and safety gear) and called NECK SUPPORT and has been available for about a year for about $35. Contact EVS on the web or call any of your major off-road supplier catalogs. It is basicly the same neck support worn by road racers such as go-cart, Formula 1, CART, etc. After seeing a fellow rider (who I wont I.D but hes on here a lot) the day after he was closelined by a sticker vine and how it tore his neck to shreds and left permanent scarring, I started wearing a fleece headband around my neck until EVS made these. Let me tell you, It could happen to anyone :eek: The brace is not uncomfortable when you are riding, you get used to it, its just a little warmer at slower speeds. Ill take that over neck or vertebral injury anyday! Barkbuster

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Barkbuster,

I searched the EVS site but no neck support. I think I know the brace that you are talking about, a few riders in SERA wear them. I'm not completely sure that it will work for vines, since the vine would tend to migrate either above or below the brace. It should help with the occasional face slapper and isn't a bad idea for maintaining intact vertebra.

If you find the URL for the neck support, please post.

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Barkbuster,

I searched the EVS site but no neck support. I think I know the brace that you are talking about, a few riders in SERA wear them. I'm not completely sure that it will work for vines, since the vine would tend to migrate either above or below the brace. It should help with the occasional face slapper and isn't a bad idea for maintaining intact vertebra.

If you find the URL for the neck support, please post.

BarkBuster

Feb 8, 2001
Lemming, you're correct, it does more for vertebral protection than vine protection because there's only a 2 inch or so velcro strap in front. I guess there's no perfect item for vines, were on our own there. EVS website is WWW.EVS-sports.com. Im not sure if it's on there or not, but I ordered mine from Dennis Kirk or Chaparral.

Top Bottom