Neck Support ?

GT3Jay

May 28, 2003
Hello all,

My 5 year old has decided he wants to try racing a few motocross races this year on his pw50. I guess the backyard has finally become boring to him. Could anyone tell me if the neck collars from evs or the like are used in large numbers for the little guys? My belief is that the little guys can never have too much protection, but is it too restrictive? Thank you for any information on this topic you could give and which models are the best/ most popular.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
They are very common in the series my son races in and it seems the younger the racers the more prevalent EVS or other neck braces you see on the line. We will not let my son ride without his EVS. Some have given reviews stating they felt the EVS was too restrictive and went to Six Six One or other supports but I felt the EVS seemed to offer the most protection when we were looking and it was less than a moto before my son said he felt comfortable with it on. Go with your belief they can never have too much protection :thumb:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Myself and many of my friends and friends' children wear the PCS neck support system. It attaches to a chest protector and offers just the right amount of protection without being overly restrictive. They have a 1" Mini neck support for the little guys:

www.procyclesafety.com

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I wear EVS and I wouldn't dream about not wearing it. It doesn't restrict movement very much at all. I am convinced if I didn't wear a neck role I would be sitting in a wheel chair drooling on myself right now. Definately wear one!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I use a neck support from ProCycleSafety (pcs) I like it cause it stays in place, doesn't get lost easily.. I've seen the EVS, seems like they spin on your neck?? not sure.. Nikki gave a great write up awhile back..
RIck

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Another vote for PCS. My two boys and I wear them and consider them integral parts of our gear. We tried the EVS, but the kids didn't like wearing them and often 'forgot' to put them on. The PCS is attached to the chest protector and you don't even notice it's there so there's no forgetting.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
My child and I both use them from a company called 661. He uses the type that zip ties to his chest protector and I use the hoarse collar version that wraps around your neck completely and does not attach to you in any way. I raced cars for years and they were mandatory so actually I feel odd when I don't have it on.

One other thing that it helps is that they can help kids stop from always looking down at their fenders instead of ahead of them.

- Walt

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I vote for EVS.... My son and I both wear them. I feel like I am missing something if I don't have it on. We love them.... They also prevent any head shake as a bonus.

Steven

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Another vote for the PCS I like how it attaches to the chest protector and it doesn't retate been wearing mine for 2 yrs now. Won't ride with out it and i've even accidently tested it. I know if I wouldn't of had it on, I would of gotten back whip lash in my neck. I only noticed it the first few rides now I don't notice it at all, spring for the cover if you get the pcs. I have seen the EVS ones rotate on the rare occasions

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Friends of mine own YPG or www.youthprotectiongear.com They make neck rolls similar to PCS, also some pads that go under the chest protector, padded shorts... Anyways we use these products and after the first intial use they became pretty much standard issue. My son had a pretty bad crash wearing both the neck roll and under chest protector pad. He landed back down on a rock shattering the back panel of his chest protector. Of course he knocked the wind out of himself and was upset but when all was said and done all he had was a dime size bruise directly on his spine area. Now I cannot say for sure that the pad underneath helped but I do believe extra padding is GOOD! Anyways I know not many people offer the padding for under your chest protector and I feel that it is more beneficial than the neck roll and great in combo. We also have a set of both for my 4 year old. You need to buy the peewee size that is a little thinner so it does not hit the helmet but an added benefit is the helmet doesn not move around so much.

Also I think that YPG is the only place to offer more than just the standard white and black colors...they have all the colors to match your kids bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…