jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
I'm graduating from my XR200 and need to know what to get. I want it to be either street legal or want to put a dual sport kit on it, so I can license it in Ohio. What should I look for and what should I stay away from? XR250? WR? TT-R? I need it to have plenty of low end for tight woods riding.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The new husky 250's are going to have the magic button. Not sure about street legal. Should'nt be hard to do . I know I can licence my bike.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the DRZ-250 from suzuki is an interesting little bike. It comes standard with e-start and backup kick which would make it easy to make a dual sport to follow ohio's standards (being that it'll have a battery). I saw a few of these out at perry last time I was there hauling big guys with relative ease.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'm not the most knowledgable on all the bikes out their, but I went from an XR200R to an XR500R. At the time My brother had a XR250 and it didn't have enough power to make the transition to a 250 worth it. I think if I was doing it again, I would go with the XR400 or the DRZ 400.

XR-250
Seat Height: 36.0 inches
Ground Clearance: 12.4 inches
Dry Weight: 240.0 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2.4 gallons, including 0.5-gallon reserve
XR400
Seat Height: 36.6 inches
Ground Clearance: 12.2 inches
Dry Weight: 257.0 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2.5 gallons, including 0.4-gallon reserve

KTM #313

Feb 26, 2001
dont know about ohio laws
but the wr250f is an incredible machine no elec start if it matters no battery
ktm says they will have one next year with elec start = battery

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
The XR250 with a Baja Designs kit is a pretty nice setup.

Last fall Dirt Rider did a test with an XR250, a WR250 and a TTR250 (can't remember if they included the DRZ or not, but I don't think so). Anyway, the XR was the overall winner for trail riding. The most aggressive riders liked the WR250 in the tight stuff, but felt it was less stable at speed.

If you choose the XR, make sure you go with a 1997 or newer model. The earlier ones were a different beast, and not as trail-worthy.

I've ridden all four - XR, WR, TTR, DRZ - and my overall favorite is probably the XR for dual sport. I really do love the WR, but I don't think I could stand that seat for extended rides (what seat??? it's a 2x4 with vinyl!). The other two bikes felt heavy and the suspension was just not up to par with the WR and Honda.

I moved up from a built XR200 to my current XR250 about a year ago. I do plan on adding a WR to the stable (just for dirt riding) unless Honda releases a CR chassied 250 four stroke next year.

Don't worry about starting the XR250 - it's easier than a 200 normally, because it's got TWO decompressors - camshaft and manual. It's the only bike i've ever owned that I know I can start even after the thing's been sitting for a few months.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I agree with bsmith, going from a 200 to a 250 is not much of an increase. I rode an 87 XR200 up until this summer. I picked up a '96 XR400 for a good deal and learned to ride the bigger bike within minutes. It feels and handles almost exactly like my 200 did, just with alot more power, speed, suspension and brakes. The height was the biggest thing that threw me off at first, but you get used to it.

If you really want a street legal, I definitely would not go smaller than 400. Much higher cruising speed will be very nice. Good luck.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
At this tiime there are only two SERIOUS off road 250 4-strokes TO BE available in the US. The Yamaha YZ/WR250F and in January the Husqvarna TC/TE250 will be out. I believe in some countries the KTM 250 RFS will be available but not here.
There are rumors that GAS GAS will have a 4-stroke soon, but how soon I haven't heard.

the other small 4-strokes (XR, DRZ, TTR, and KLX300) out there are all good bikes but just not serious performance machines without a fair amount of mods. If you're not worried about the top off road performance and really need street legal the DRZ is nice but a little heavy.

If you go up to the 400 size there are a lot more choices.

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
There is a huge difference between the xr200 and xr250 both in power and features. The 250 has CR grade brakes unlike the 200's old drum brakes. The suspension on the 250 is great for trail riding or even a bit more. The xr has a proven track record for reliability, but parts are easily obtainable when needed. Oh, it's 1996 and up you want in the 250R. Only the 250L still had the old frame that year...its last year too. I would have considered the WR a bit more, but at 5'6", I would need a step ladder to get on it. I've heard the WR can be tough to start most of the time, but don't know this from experience. I had the XR400 from 1996-99 with the BD kit and it was a great bike. There are actually times when the 250 shines over many of the other power house bikes. Just depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing. Be sure to ride one uncorked if you are really considering one. Also, that article in Dirt Bike was June 2001. I could send it to you if you are interested. DRZ vs. TTR vs. XR. Then the winner (XR) vs. the WR250. Good reading I thought.

Russ

Top Bottom