Birgster

Oct 26, 2000
There are many marketed companies now that revalve forks and shocks. Enzo, Scotts, Race Tech, etc....

I wanted to have the suspension setup on my 01 300 MXC and need a good reference.
I weigh 195 and am 6'2". Getting some head shake on the 300 through the woops.

Which one of these companies will be able to help me the most and what are there URL's.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I've heard really good things about this one.

www.mx-tech.com

[This message has been edited by Vic (edited 01-08-2001).]

Birgster

Oct 26, 2000
Well I didn't know that Jer was from a tuning outfit. I don't know if I would have asked him for a reference If I did.
If I were him I would be inclined to steer the work my way, not saying that he would.

This is the second time I have heard of W.E.R. How do they rate compared to Race Tech ,Scotts and Enzo Racing?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Ratmloud,
Where do you get off? I'm curious how you don't like me what did I do to you? Offend you over a spring rate recomendation or what?.. I think I've answered evrey question you have ever asked me personally, made recomendations..etc.. My point is I'm glad you like WER, Drew from what I'm told is a good guy.. I don't solict work from DRN boards, if someone wants to plug me by all means I don't stop them...actually many times I have thought this getting to be too much. Please don't group me into this.. I have nothing to do with your unhappiness or anything else.. If you want to recomend WER please do, but don't include me with YOUR Politcal / business / personal agenda.... Your opion is respected here but I don't appercaite you bagging me for nothing but heresay, and "your unhappyness with my service which for the life of me I can't see your issues with" (Beyound price maybe. and on that note.. I live by "don't be cheap be good"..) Thanks and I hope this put this to rest..

For the rest of DRN crew I applogize for such crap.. I only answer direct question about this type of stuff beacuse I realize I might be biased and hence don't respond.. That is straight up as you can get...

Regards,
Jer

Take a look at yourself.....

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Birgster,
Of the companies you have asked about the answer is very straight forward..

RT is out no questions asked.. Your forks already have "gold-valves" in them in compairson to stock.. Fundemntally RT reduces modern Technology to ancient technology, removing mid-vales for instance...

Enzo: A very good company.. Enzo is run by the legondary Ross Maeda who is the man in charge of suspension devlopment for most teams using KYB componets.. He designed the balder fork from a concept level... He does great work, but I personally don't like his set-ups.. (Just artistic opion here.. ) I like anyone who is not a hack, and who honestly seeks to do the best job possible.. I think when using stock pistons his set-ups are well planed.. Typically lots of "low-speed" very linear.. This at a concept level minus piston is something that my company does.. not to plug my sight but he really opened my eyes on the balder fork and I posted an article of his on my site.. check it out...
Of all the compaines you mentioned I would tell you to go to Enzo other than they only do KYB as far as I know..

WER,
I've ordered some shims from them when I did not want to make several thousand... They seem to have good customer service and Drew is a freindly guy.. I'm sure you would be happy with them..

I don't like them selling the baldder kit as a "performace" item.. It's not IMO, its a constiency ease of service issue.. I wish they would say that, there is nothing shamful in doing something that makes a job go better...

A company you did not mention who might also do you right would be Factory Connection. They Like WER are a top line company. I've seen lots of FC work it is typicaly very clean and well exicuted.. They have my respect, although being a tuner myself don't always buy the set-up..

Both WER, FC are WP liscenced service, so you probalby can't go wrong with either one..

Thats my biased opion on these companies..

Regards,
Jer

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Birgster - my buddy is going to send his '99 300 EXC shock off to WER in the near future. He's talked to Drew and to some who have had their KTM work done at WER. Drew is ISDE legend and offroad hero Drew Smith, founder of WER. WER's bladder replacement is apparently a good idea for the KTM and many do it at their first shock service.

My CRE has Factory Connection suspension and it works great. Don't know what they can do with the KTM. I've yet to ride an MX-Tech suspended bike for comparison. Maybe someday!

Dirt Diver

Dec 7, 2000
My CRE has Factory Connection suspension and it works great. Don't know what they can do with the KTM. I've yet to ride an MX-Tech suspended bike for comparison. Maybe someday!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Factory Connection does excellent work on WP suspension. As Jer. stated, FC is a WP dealer and as a result has a tremendous amount of experience with this suspension. I am very happy with the work they did for me! I would highly recommend them to anyone.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I had my suspension done by Jer (MX-TECH) and I am very happy with it. This is my first custom suspension I have had done. So I cannot comment on other companies work. But I can about MX-TECH, and I think they did a fine job. Price was fair and Jer's service was outstanding. This fall when I get a new bike Jeremy (MX-TECH) will get my bussiness again no question about it.

------------------
More to follow im sure.....

Birgster

Oct 26, 2000
The one thing about WER that I don't like is that they boast the fact that they don't do motocross.
I bought the MXC so that I could ride a hare scramble, desert and still have a good bike to ride on the ocassional track. Race a grand Pre or so.

So what is WER saying when they say NO Motocross. Will the tuning not work well for a track?
Also I am not thrilled with sending the units across the nation. I'm in california.

Where if Factory Connection? I'll look them up. One thing I don't want to do is give the WP units to anyone that has no experience on them. AKA Enzo.

thanks for all the input. But this is the second post I have posted on this site and both times someone argued. Maybe I should just shutup.

later

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
I have been thinking about what you said Jer about Factory Connetions settings. I beleive I know what your talking about at least in part. They run a very low oil level 145mm. Then they get there bottoming resistance with stiff valving. That is why I think my forks feel the same no matter were in the stroke they are.

What would happen if I took and raised the oil to say 100mm and backed off on the compression? would it let the forks ride to far down in the stroke, causing them to get harsh? or would it give a soft ride that firmed up in the stoke?

LABYZOUNE

Sep 10, 1999
Thanx jer for not recommending stadium suspension (now elka suspension) in Quebec.
I'm pretty sure you remember my very bad experience with that jerk at stadium (Martin).
wink.gif

------------------
Labyzoune
2001 RM250

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Jake,
Oil ht typically only impacts the very bottom of the stroke. Last 25 percent. So when on person insts that there forks ride higher and are plusher with a lower oil ht I often find myself going really......

The new bladder fork is an exception to this as it does impactg forks postion a little more when you run say 80mm or less.

Regards,
Jer

Labyzone,
Man that must have really gone bad... I don't kown what to say other than sorry I recomended them. I have delt with Martin for a few years now and he's always treated me right.. Sorry again..
Regards,
Jer

Swirk

May 17, 2000
Just a word of caution about FC. If they say a week, expect 3-4 weeks (especially this time of year). If they say a price make them stick to it...I was quoted one price and it ended up being double. They are from my home town (Rochester,NH), so I hear about them all the time... some good, some bad. I have had a bad experience with them and will never recommend them.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I have used:

Race Tech - OK stuff, but I wasn't happy with the local 'authorized dealer' as my fork seals leaked 2 weeks after getting them back (it wasn't due to dirt either)

Factory Connection - suspension was good but long turnarounds and had one fork failure after the first ride after re-valve (they made good on it but it was another 2 week delay)

Slavins - good service no complaints, specializes in off-road suspension

MX-Tech - love the personal service, treats cutomers as not just another part to work on, willing to try things to make the performance better, rather than 'this is what you get, same as everyone else'
downside is he is REALLY busy and you have to be patient

My business will be with MX-Tech from now on.

And NO RATMLOUD its not because I am moderator either. I spend my money where the quality and service is, not because of the Internet.

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
I just want to give my input on Jer's fork service. I live in Japan, and he did a very good job turning my forks around to me. As for the bill, my experiences with these forks proved that every penny I spent on getting them done was well worth it. I really feel that Jer went out of his way to assure that the job was done the way I wanted it (he even called me across 8 time zones for this) and would recommend his service to anyone looking for quality work.

In short, get the job done right the first time, or you will probably end up doing it again and paying even more.

------------------
Paul '97 YZ250, '86 VFR400R Mechanical "nut"

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
I can't vouch for the work yet but I'll give you some idea of his customer service.

I am a pain in the butt customer. I am very picky and I ask a million questions before committing.

Tuner has called me the pickiest SOB he has ever met. I am hard to please.

Well, Jer has answered all my e-mails and I have put him through the ringer. I asked him why he was better then so and so and why his work is better then this or that.

He was very patient with me.

I might be a mod and so is he but we're talking $$ here and if I'm gonna spend it then I make sure I spend it right.

He is now gonna get my suspension at the end of the month.

KW

Oct 14, 1999
I must say jeremy's customer sevice is some
of the best I've ever seen. I ordererd one
of his valve kits and was having some problems (not jer's fault) so I called him up. He had me send in the shock no questions asked fixed it and told me what I had done
wrong no charge.
THANKS JER!!
You will get all my future business.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Does anybody here know anything about, or has had any experiences with "Protech"? They appear to be quite big here in Canada (at least biggest roster of racers).

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by ratmloud:
... when I talked to jer I was not happy with him nor the price...

First time I talked to Jeremy I thought "now here is one sharp cookie." As for the price, you get what you pay for. I have yet to give the MX-Tech tuned forks the complete WoodsRider test. From the short ride I did take, they were much better than anything I've had before.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by kalitude:

Two suspension shops here in the Bay Area ge marks from everyone I have ever spoken too. Lindemann Engineering http://www.le-suspension.com/ . All my fork work will most likely go to LE (he has worked on many superbikes and MX world champion bikes)

I know Johnny Hlebo who does all the dirt track and some of the road racing suspension mods for LE.

Good guy and FAST. He comes to IL in the summer and ride with us.

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
I've had good luck with Race-Tech. My local dealer is excellent. I dropped off my shock and picked it up 24 hours later with a new spring and revalved for my newer bigger body weight. My bike is old, a '94 CR250 so it doesn't have the mid valving previously mentioned. The mechanic claimed mid valving on newer bikes can cause a mid stroke spike in damping. Didn't sound quite right to me, but it wasn't my problem.

Top Bottom