Need a helmet that fits an oval head...

KingKabong

Aug 30, 2002
So far I haven't had much luck finding a good fit with off-road helmets. I wear an Arai Quantum/e for street. It's an old one, bought new in '96. The new Quantum/f's don't fit as well. The Quantum/e is made for "oval" heads. Unlike the Shoei street helmets, made for more "round" heads.

I've tried the Arai off-road helmet, it didn't fit nearly as well as I expected it to. And the price is a little outrageous. The others they had at the shop were HJC, Thor, Shoei. The last 2 might work if I could get an XXL, the XL didn't fit quite right.

Anyone have any advice?

KingKabong

Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by thermal
Can not help you but....... :confused:
What does your user name stand for?

Heh, well, I used to go by "El Kabong", it's a cartoon character from Quick Draw McGraw. But I started seeing lots of "El Kabong's" on the net, so I altered it a little, hence, "King Kabong". Lots of El Kabong's but only one King... heheh...

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I seem to have an oddly shaped melon. I have an O'Neal that fits real nicely.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I have the biggest noggin that I'm aware of, except for my brother who can't even ride dirtbikes cuz there is no helmet that fits him.

Believe it or not, I tried on easily a hundred helmets until I narrowed it down to one brand. HJC CLX-3 helmet (XXL size?) Maybe it was mislabeled or a factory defect but one yellow example of that model fit far better than any others of the same brand, model, and even the same size!

I guess my point is that you need to go to different shops and try them on for yourself. Other gear I can mail-order, helmets can't be for me.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
FWIW, I found that the Shoei VFX-R feels 'longer' inside than the Arai VX-Pro. The Arai pressed against my forehead rather tightly, while the Shoei did not, but was tighter to pull over my ears (it's narrower too I guess).

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
The Shoei VFX-R is an awsome fitting helmet, very comfy!. Also a little pricey though. My brother has a very round pumpkin, and the HJC seems to fit him pretty good, and the price is a little more affordable.

KingKabong

Aug 30, 2002
Just in case someone digs this thread up. I found one that fits pretty well. The MSR Rage, size XXL is the one I finally got. It has a liner that "hugs" the crown of your head, I like it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom