Need a little help - action sports & church

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've been approached by our pastor to exploer some things...mainly...what trips kids triggers nowadays other than the typical football, baseball basketball etc...so I suggested we launch some sort of an action sport group within our church and give kids the opportunity to participate in "cool" sports like MX, BMX, freestyle, skating, etc....anything that attracts the x-games crowd.
Some of my questions revolve mainly about liability issues...does anyone have any input? Has anyone been a part of anything like this? What can we do to make an "action sports" chapter of the church successful? Is it in form of teams - like a MX team, a skating team, etc.
I seem to remember a few folks inhere that were at one point or another involved in a program like this.
Any help and contacts will be greatly appreciated.
I'll be happy to provide you with my contact info - just shoot me a pm.

Cheers,

Wolf

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You could remind the church members of I Corithians 6:

Concerning Lawsuits Among Believers

1If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints?

2Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases?

3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

4Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church!

5I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers?

6But instead, one brother goes to law against another—and this in front of unbelievers!

7The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?

8Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.

It would seem that Paul discouraged church goers from suing one another.

I'd hope that liability between members of the church would not be a problem because the person who did the wrongdoing would make it right with the person who was wronged. . .

But then again, we do live on planet earth. . .

I'd get an attorney to prepare an airtight release. . . and then you need to remember that no release is airtight.

Aren't Panic Rev and Team Jesus sort of doing what you're talking about? Perhaps someone there could give you some info.

http://www.fcamotocross.com/aboutFCA

http://www.panicrev.org/race_team.htm

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Wolf. Definitely check out the panicrev site. My grandson Max (ladieu229) is a member. Send him a pm if you have questions.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
How about something along the lines of going out to a skate park and ride, instead of a team?
The skate parks around here allow bmx and skateboards.

Go to a MX event, local or pro, arenacross or supercross.

I was thinking something that would get more to come out and be part of the "club"

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
My old church built a skate park in an older portion of their parking lot that had been resurfaced to make a nice base surface for the park. To the side of the park there was a grass patch that they ended up building a bmx dirt-jumping/racing track. They had really good luck with turnout, but few were members of the church nor did they seem interested. The good thing is that they are still providing a community epicenter for kids to gather, regardless of their religious affiliation.

Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I should add that we are really trying take advantage of our relatively unique location and capabilities, in a way adding-providing something for our community that most churches would not be able to do. We have quite a bit of room/land to do things. Of course certain "field trips" would be part, but we really would also like to be able to draw kids to our facility and away from the troublesome environment/ TV/ etc...

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
RYDMOTO said:
All I know is His disciples preferred Hondas...after all they were all praying in one Accord.

:laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
WaltCMoto said:
I was thinking something that would get more to come out and be part of the "club"
Walt I think "team" is the new "club". Confusing since in our old geezer minds "team" means competition and "club" has more of a fun connotation.

Top Bottom