Need advice: 1994 Kawa KDX 250

Beefcake

Jun 24, 2009
I'm seriously considering a Kawa KDX 250 for my next trail bike. They were only made for 4 years, any reason why? I ride in the California Sierra Nevada foothills and mountains. I'm a good rider and weigh 195 lbs. Any feedback on this model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, love the site!

Beefcake AKA "Luke"

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The bike did not sell well, as most of the magazine gave it poor reviews, and they also liked the cheaper KDX200 better.

Stock, the bike is plagued by poor jetting and forks, it's heavy and slow steering, and the riding position is not good. Basically, Kawasaki could have sold alot more of these bikes if they had cleaned up the jetting and got the forks in the ball park.

On the plus side, all the problems but the weight can be fixed. You can usually find them cheap, and once dialed in they make a fine and reliable trail bike. The bike has a heavy flywheel and excellent low end power for a 250 2t. It also has a big tank (mine measured 3.6 gallons, even though Kawasaki says 3.2 or 3.3). For mountains, the extra power over the KDX200 is much appreciated.

I had one for several years, and liked it better than my dialed in '90 KDX200, but there was a lot of attention to detail needed getting the 250 set up right. If you search the KDX forum, you can find much more info.

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
fun and reliable bike

see my earlier rebuild post:
link

once set up well its an extremely fun trail bike, loves hard rocky terrain . can also do some nasty trial stuff or long traveling trips.
Owning in the past few years a 2005 KTM 250EXC and a 2007 Yamaha WR250F my conclusions are:
the New 2T KTMs are about three generations better than the KDX (except for the ****ty PDS). though there is nothing they can pass that the old KDX doesn't fly thru as well (its all about the rider...) their engines are smoother and stronger low and high , they are bulletproof stiff on crashes ,rider position is much better exc'.
The 4T WR was for a 2T lover as myself smooth but a very boring ride, a bike for the lazy cats.

all that said im pretty in love with my old childhood crush - the KDX. took it for long 9 hour a day trips , and hard rocky trial rides and it hasn't failed me yet (on the contrary).
engine is reliable but im having high maintenance with screws flying off constantly and other small periferial systems that require attention every other ride ,well its 16 years old..
hope i don't have to ever sell it , and hope ill have the cash to buy a new KTM 2T as well :)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I have not ridden one yet, but I would love to have one. I've read that once set up they are really really solid and fun bikes. A little more grunt than the 200/220 has with similar power delivery would be the perfect engine for me. I honestly don't mind a few extra pounds, if you can get the bike to be well balanced.

You have any experience with KDX's in general? I'd almost go so far as to say they are a different class of beast all in their own.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The power is noticeably more than a KDX200.

The seating position is a bit dated.

It's not too bad of a bike, but harder to find aftermarket stuff for it, compared to the newer KDX's for example.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
i like your thiking julien_d im also looking into doing a KDX250/KX125 hybrid, also thinking once it in there a 300cc rebore mite be in order...........

nearma12

Mar 29, 2009
I ride a '91 KDX250. It is a really fun bike.
Here is my take on the 250:

The forks are a little soft if you want to jump or hit obstacles at high speed. You can fix that by installing stiffer springs. It is a pretty easy fix. I like my forks with the stock springs and heavier weight oil because I ride lots of tight, hilly trails where I don't get into lots of high speed or jumping.

The engine is really nice. It makes quite a bit more power across the whole RPM range compared to the KDX 200/220. The motor is based off the KX250 motor (with different porting, ignition curve and heavy flywheel weight). It makes a little more low-end than a 250 MX motor, but it doesn't have the top-end like the MX'er.

It is a little heavy by 2-stroke standards, but it really isn't that bad. It is advertised at 237 lbs, which is less than any 4 stroke off road bike that makes that kind of power. Handling isn't great if you are used to more modern bikes, but I never have a problem with it. Some people shave the seat foam to help with riding position. You can also grind the steering stop to allow the forks to turn quite a bit farther than stock.

I think this bike is awesome. If you can get a good deal on it, you should grab it while you can. Parts aren't extremely hard to find, just not as easy as the 200/220. Plastic is really the only thing that is harder to find.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
My 94 kdx200 was 260's gassed and ready to go in stock form (no kickstand) so this doesn't sound too bad for the power gains. Though, you could get a newer WR250 2-stroke or KX250 and do some pipe and flywheel mods to get close without the extra hybrid work.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Have KDX250sr the heavier one with oil injection. Love it but you need to get a good one cheap otherwise you should look at something more plentiful with better aftermarket support.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Best thing you can do to the bike is open the airbox, jet the carb, install the thinner KX head gasket, add a pipe and silencer and then swap a set of KX forks up front. After that, they are a great bike! Very fun, fast, and reliable.

Top Bottom