mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Every time I clean and oil my air cleaner I foul plugs upon re-installation and starting the bike. Am I putting too much air filter oil on it? Not enough drying time?

Here's what I do (UniFilter) :

Clean it in solvent (gas or kerosene?)
Wring it out
Let dry
Apply filter oil
Install in bike

Should I be using soap and water also? (Some say you should some say it's not necesssary)

Do you need the oil to dry some b/4 putting back in bike and riding?

Can anyone give me a successful procedure?

The bike has never been a plug fouler until I started doing this.

Thanks in advance for any advice

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
let the filter sit for about 20minutes before installing to let the filter tack up some...this probably will not solve your plug fouling problem but it is neccesary.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I am a little alarmed that you use gas to clean it, I have always heard/read use either foam filter clearner or soap and water or a combo of both. then oil and let the oil tack for 10-20 mins. But like mxer842 said that probably won't cure the plug fouling problem

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
mineral spirits are the way to go when cleaning filters...

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Thanx all...

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is the filter that is causing the fouling (by that I mean the way I am cleaning and oiling it) because if I put my old raggedy filter back in it runs fine and does not foul. The old filter is pretty ragged and I definitley need a new one but I'm screwing the oiling of the doggoned thing up. It is sucking the oil in from the filter and throwing it into the cylinder. Maybe i simply need to let it dry longer...

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
After you apply the oil, squeeze out any excess. Dont twist or ring it out as you may rip the filter.
Maybe you're over saturating the filter and sucking in the extra oil on start up?

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Probably right...

That's what I was thinking. Do you use a solvent? If so what kind? Do you let it dry and THEN use soap and water? I'm doing something wrong :ugg:

MXSparx said:
After you apply the oil, squeeze out any excess. Dont twist or ring it out as you may rip the filter.
Maybe you're over saturating the filter and sucking in the extra oil on start up?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You'd be miles ahead if you went with No-Toil.

On any filter, most folks will over oil them and ride too soon with them.
After you have oiled up your filter, and sure there is no oil left to drip out...place it on a bag and hang it up somwhere overnight...there will be a puddle of oil in the bottom of the bag.
I think it's best to always keep a fresh filer in a bag and use it when you change. Fix your other filter up and bag it up for future use.

Feel with your fingers in the bottom of your airbox and see if there isn't a puddle of oil down there. I think excess filter oil fools many folks into thinking they are off jetting wise.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Whatever you do the more filters you have the better. It means that you can use the same solvent to wash them all (raher than doing them one at a time) and have a 'batch' in bags ready to use . This is saving money on solvents.

If you doubt the effectiveness of washing in hot soapy water after the initial solvent clean, then try this-
Clean as you would with Solvent.
Run a hot bucket of water with washing up detergent in it.
Wash the filters in this by squeezing them under the water 5 mins (keep this bucket of water)
Rinse in fresh running hot water to rinse out the detergent.
Hang up to air dry (this can take a while in cold/damp climates, in the house is good but they tend to stink a bit!)

Now go back to that bucket of water...very gently pour off the water and look at the amount of sand and grit that has settled in the bottom. I bet it will be there, this is why I follow up a solvent wash with hot soapy water.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Yeah buy new filters.....each plug you are fouling probably is doing your engine damage as you suck in airfilteroil! I have never had this problem 94hondacr250, there may be a small rip in the filter....i have 2air filters. I use 1 and have the other oiled!

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Many Thanx

You guys have been a great help and I really appreciate all of the experienced shared. I think I have a good gfrasp on how to do it correctly... the first thing I will do is go out and buy another filter so I can always have one ready.

Very much appreciate all the help!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
u aren't over-oiling your filter...have u guys seen the filters the factory guys run, they dip the whole filter in a bucket of oil and then wring them out...it may look like it is over-oiled but just wring it out until it stops dripping and let it sit on a paper towel (or in a bag)

the most vulnerable part of your filter is the part that didn't get oiled, wring it out really good and you will be fine.

Top Bottom