Need advice for Colorado trip, please.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
My son (12) on his TTR125 and myself on my KDX are heading to Colorado in about 3 weeks. I'm trying to do some planning. We are going to Durango for a family reunion and will do some riding in that area. At least one day will be up a jeep trail with family (they're taking jeeps/suv's) to a plateau at 12,500 in the LaPlata Mtns.

We were also planning on riding in the Lake City area. I have a trail guide from Trails of Colorado. We are not riding in a group. It will just be my son and I. I'm a good rider but he is a novice. We were hoping to do some stuff that gets us up to some elevation without being too difficult.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a GPS. Is that a good idea for this trip? What kind do you have/recommend? What are features to look for?

Any other advice on survival gear, etc. would be appreciated. I don't want to get caught flatfooted out there and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of other people being around or total wilderness. I have a TNF Hy-Vent waterproof jacket and was going to bring one for my son also. We will also bring some food, matches, flashlight. We will have the normal protective gear and tools (knee, chest, elbow, boots, gloves & helmet, camel back, tools, fix-a-flat stuff, first aid) what other stuff can you recommend? Thanks for taking the time.

Tom

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Can't help with the prep stuff, but I can mention that I was amazed at how much the jetting changed when I got to Colorado Springs from near sea level.

My CR250 felt dead at 10,000 feet, I can't imagine how it will affect the TTR.

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
I have to agree about the jetting issue. I lived in Wyoming for a year and a half and the altitude will REALLY effect the performance of the bikes.

I would locate a local dealer there and talk with someone in their service department about what altitudes you're wanting to ride at. They should be able to help you out with how to jet the bikes.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
A GPS would be nice, I use a Garmin 2+ but if you have a map you should be ok.

As Gomer mentioned, the jetting will change a bunch. I usually go about 10% leaner on the main and one full needle leaner.

Lake City has a lot of jeep trails which are easy and the views are terrific. However, you mention that your son is a novice. Many of the jeep trails have extremly steep drop offs. One could get seriously hurt if they went off the trail. I'd be real carefull!

Oh yeah, and remember, when in Colorado, always fall uphill. :thumb:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have a TNF Hy-Vent waterproof jacket and was going to bring one for my son also. We will also bring some food, matches, flashlight.

Make sure those are waterprof matches or at least in waterproof container. Also, I addition not sure if the jacket is just to keep rain off you or keeps you warm, but if its just a raincoat you might want to bring a fleece pull over or a packable jacket (in case it gets cold)and a space banket. A fleece pull over would also do well under a waterproof shell for warmth.

As to GPS. Yes, bring it if you got it. Not sure, but make sure its acurate and you have a map of the area with known GPS corredates on it for reference.

Second the Jetting. Especialy on your KDX. The TTR will run either way, but it will run poorly without jetting.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
For your KDX put in 40 primary and 150 main jets. That should give you some cushion and reasonable performance for the altitude. Do not operate your KDX with this jetting until you get at altitude. Have fun.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Don't forget spare plugs. Riding with you novice son, you are probably not looking for a lot of performance, just fun. Your jetting will probably be rich and you will foul plugs more easily. I thought I had jetted pretty good, but lost a plug in just under 100 miles. If you haven't been there before, you both will have a blast.

If you are looking at GPS for this trip, you need it to be easy to set up to make a track or route while you are riding so if you need you could easily follow it back. My palm based GPS is a bit of a hassle and I found that I liked reading trail a lot more than playing with the GPS. I am a bit of a gadget head, but not on those beautiful trails. If you just have a decent sense of direction and remember the cool views, turns or bumps in the trail, you shouldn't have any trouble. I would take a good map over a GPS any day. Maps don't run out of batteries.

DoubleBlip

May 22, 2002
Hi Tom,

You are going to LOVE the scenery! Bring your camera. Lake City is a great place and they allow off-roaders to ride on the streets with no license. Anyway, a nice easy loop out of Lake City is Cinnamon Pass and Engineer Pass. Animas Forks is a cool old guost town and the loop up Picayne Gulch (near Animas Forks) is easy enough too (I think). Even if you only rode up to the top of either pass, you will see incredible scenery. It's big jeep country so intersections are marked well, a GPS is not needed. I'm guessing that the big loop ride might be 40-45 miles. I don't know how far the TTR125 range is, or the range of the rider, but at least go to the top of the passes and back.

My advice for mountain riding is to bring a good enduro/rain jacket and maybe some warmer gloves. When it rains, it gets cold! Also start no later than 8:30-9:00 am to beat the afternoon thunderstorms (unless they are predicting a cloudless day). Plenty of water, food, tools, and waterproof matches or a lighter will do ya. It's a heavily used area with jeeps, ATV's, and off-road bikes, so you won't be alone.

Technically it's not difficult riding in that area, except with the exception of a few climbs on some of the jeep roads, and some of the limited single-track there, but the scenery more than makes up for the less challenging riding.

Have fun!
Kerrie

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Tom,
As you've already heard, try and get the jetting set before you go. Don't worry about GPS, buy a map when you get there and you'll have no problems. The Lake City loop is a nice and pretty easy ride from what I remember. Riding in SW Colorado is not so much about riding, but taking in the scenery, ghost towns, mines, etc... After you decide how much camera film to buy, double it, you'll need it. I have some cool pictures taken with one of those "throwaway" panoramic cameras. When the weather starts to look bad, head for cover, it doesn't take long for the rain to sneak up on ya and the temperature to drop.

One last thing, there are lots of jeeps sharing the trail and you will come up on them pretty fast(even if your going slow), be patient and usually they will give you some room to pass.

Enjoy..............

Top Bottom