SoCalDawg

Nov 24, 2009
I am looking to get back into riding dirt bikes, mainly on trails here in southern CA. I grew up riding XR & CR80 as well as YZ125. I would ride my pop's XL250 some and had a DR350 in college for good parking.

I am 6' 215 lbs and it's unlikely I will get much below 200 lbs. so I am looking at the 250 and 450 bikes. I grew up riding Honda and loved them but having been away for so long y'all are going to know more about brands than me. I like the 250 and 450 Honda and Yamaha 4-strokes but am not sure if 250 will be enough or if 450 is more weight than I want to lug around. I am pretty solid on 4-stroke and the majority of my riding will be on trails here in SoCal.

Any advice on the 250 versus 450 is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TC

SoCalDawg

Nov 24, 2009
just found this...so will complete it.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) - 6'/215

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? - med. aggressive, fun but not over the top.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - woods, trails with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience? - yes, from about age 10
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? most of it
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - Honda/Yamaha & def. 4-stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? ?, just moved here.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? around $5K
10) Do you live in California? - yes, weird but cool state.
11) Your age? 34
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion - grew up riding dirt bikes in south GA from around age 10 so familiar with bikes, riding, common sense, etc.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I am about the same age as you and I can tell you alot has changed in the past 24 years, especially in the world of 4 strokes. The modern 4 stroke is high maintenance and expensive. They have rigorous maintenance schedules that cant be ignored like the old generation engines. The upside is that they are more powerful than the old generation bikes and suspension has come along way. With 24 years of experience, I would go with a 450...maybe a Yamaha WR450, Honda 450X, or KTM 450 [EXC] (I think). You would probably get bored with a 250 quickly.

SoCalDawg

Nov 24, 2009
Wow, sounds like it. I was focusing on the 4-stroke because of what I thought was a lower maint. bike. I need more help/advice than I thought. I don't mind doing basic maint. but am curious to the difference between the maint. work schedules of a current 4-stroke vs a 2-stroke. I think I read somewhere on this board that someone was advising a 250 stroke over a 450 4-stroke because of easier maint.?.. that turns my head upside down from what I was used to.

I guess the focus would be a good bike for my size and experience made by Honda or Yamaha. It sounds like a 250 2-stroke could be an option now. The majority of our riding is likely to be canyons and hardpack trails from what I can tell out here. I am smack in the middle of San Diego and LA. For this type of riding I am guessing that I would prefer the gearing/band of the 4-stroke but y'all have me perplexed on the maintenance thing.

SoCalDawg

Nov 24, 2009
Some basic research has me looking at the DRZ400E for several reasons. It is a great size for my frame, more than enough CCs, the price seems really good compared to some of the more motocross-focused thumpers and I am reading maint. is a bit less intense on the DRZ (is this true?).

I have no plans of racing or even track days as my riding will be 95% trails, canyons, etc. Is there anything I am missing with the DRZ? I guess my question is what makes it so much cheaper than WR450F? Weight? Tech?

Thanks.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
In Cali you need to watch the green/red sticker B.S. I think 2 strokes newer than 02 or something are only legal to ride certain times of the year. The newer 4 stroke race bikes are high maintenance. The 250f being the most needy. They run 13k+ rpm and have these little pancake looking things for pistons. The super short skirt makes for faster wear. The valve trains are mostly titanium for reduced weight and they wear faster, especially if they see even a spec of dust. The valve adjustments are a bit of a project. The larger bore thumpers tend to be more hardy as people usually spend less time in the upper rpms. The CRF-X and WR-F lines are based on the mx bikes with wide ratio trannies and softer suspension, lights, e-start, etc. If you want to go with a new 4 stroke for woods I'd recommend the WR/CRF450. Both bikes seem to be well liked. If you don't mind going back a few years the XR400 is a really solid bike with a lower performance/lower maintenance engine.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The DRZ is a fine bike. It's a bit heavier than the WR I think. It's like an XR400, based on lower rpm.

SoCalDawg

Nov 24, 2009
This is great feedback. Thank you. So is the WR one of those needy 4-strokes with regards to maint., especially compared to the DRZ?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Kind of in between. Really depends on how hard you ride and how well you maintain the oil and air filters.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I own a 2001 XR400 and I am very happy with it. It is low maintenance and reliable. While it has decent power, it doesnt knock my socks off...my YZ400F does, but it is high maintenance and not really designed for the trail (gearing).

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I would agree from everything I have seen and read that a 250 4t would be too small. As far as cost goes for maintainence, I was talking to someone about that last week. He has a 2004 or 05 YZ450 and has had it for 4 years I believe and checked the valves a few times, but they needed nothing. He has done normal things such as change the oil and filter, but that is it in the time he has had it. He rides trails and such so probably like your type riding. He has a Kx250 2t as well and says the 450 is good, but be ready for it to constantly pull you in the turns. Says it wears him out more than his 2 stroke.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, a 250f isn't the best bike for a 215lb guy. It would pull you around, probly pretty well, but won't hold up like a 450.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
bike suggestions,

High there Socaldawg, Porkchop here, my suggestion is for the honda crf 450 x, I've been on one for 3 years now & I'm very pleased with it. I way in at 220lbs, trail ride high desert & mountains, the ride makes plenty of useable power, has good fuel range & the aftermarket offers many bits & pieces to customize to your liking. Also honda dealers, in my opinion are the best on this planet. Good luck, Porkchop...
P.S. XR 400's are great bikes too, good advice Patman.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I really really sounds to me like you are a great candidate for a XR400. Rock solid reliable, low maintenance requirements and super easy to service. No need to cry when you drop it because there isn't much hanging on the bike that will get damaged. Some mild modifications can make it even better once you get a feel for what you want it to do and best of all it should be a pretty inexpensive bike to buy.

If it doesn't look modern enough pick up the A-Loop kit and you'll have the look of the flat seat & air scoops without all the baggage.

Top Bottom