mothon

Jul 20, 2003
I am looking to buy my first bike within the next couple of weeks. I am about 6ft. tall and 145 pounds. I am looking to buy a used bike around the 2,000 dollar range. I was originally looking to buy a 125 but a couple days ago my friends told me about a friend of theres that was selling his bike, so the guy brought the bike over to my house so i could look at it. The bike is a 1998 kx250 w/factory connection suspension,pro circuit piping andsilencer,renthal sprockets and chain,Brand new weisco top end installed 2 days ago w/ 0 riding hours, Pro taper triple clamp,skin industries graphics,Kehin(sp) racing carb,pro taper bars,uni air filter
polished swing arm,hinsen clutch and a white brothers racing bottom end. It looked to be in very good condition. He said the least he could sell it for was 2400 but i told him the most i could do is 2000 and he said he would think about it. Im just wondering if this wont be to much bike for me? and am i getting a good deal? All opinions are appreciated.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
How old are you?

I rode a 1997 KX250 when I was getting back into the sport (I was out for 9 years and jumping on that bike was almost like learning all over again although I knew the basics). The 1997 KX250 and the 1999 KX250's I've ridden have been very friendly in the power department.

However, if you do not know how to ride at all I would not recommend it b/c like all 250's if you give it too much throttle and don't have the experience to respond to it then you are going to get hurt (and sometimes that happens when you have the experience :) ).

For pricing info go to www.nadaguides.com or www.kbb.com

Ivan

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Mothon

I started a form like this about 4 months ago. I doubt you could find it any longer but basically I bought a 1996 KX 250 as my first bike. Yes the 250's are extremely powerful but they are manageable. The only problem with getting a 250 as a beginner bike is it can easily turn you off to the sport. It is very frustrating at first and tires you out if you’re not ready for it. The thing that helped me out the most was reading all the comments posted on the forum. Basically the comments scared the crap out of me and told me to respect the bike or get hurt. That way when I went out to ride for the first time I knew what to expect. I did fine my first time out on the trials but had I not read the suggestions on this site or know about the power of the bike I probably would have hurt my-self. I would say if you could get that bike for $2000 or less and you decide you really want a 250 then go for it. Just make sure you buy every piece of riding equipment that you can and can't afford. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

viper131

Jun 13, 2003
i was in the same exact situation as you basically last week... im same height,and weight. i just purchaced a 98'kx 250 2 days ago as a first bike, and yes, they are very powerful. i respect the bike, and i always am careful. after you ride it a while, you start getting the hang of these more powerful bikes. i learned on a ttr-125... and jumped from that to this kx 250. HUGE differance. all you really need to know, protect yourself, dont do anything too demanding at first (ride in open areas to get to know your bike), and take it easy. all you need on the kx 250's is a little gas, and you will be flying. i am having a lot of fun learning to ride this, and i think if he accepts the offer, most deffinatly get the bike. sounds like a very good deal. my advise tho, take it easy

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Sounds like a pretty good idea... just please take Vinny's advice and take it super easy and super careful... a 250 can get you a lot of trouble very fast. But Vinny is living proof you can start on a 250. Just be careful, and lots of safety gear.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
YES, lot's of gear! You ARE getting a good deal but don't spend all your money on a bike and not have anything left over for boots, helmet, chest protector, cloves, pants, jersey, kidney belt...ect. I certainly crashed more when I first started, and if I didn't have lot's of protection on I doubt I would have liked it nearly as much....

get the bike, be careful, have fun, and realize you've got LOTS of time to get better.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
One last word of advise. Put your balls on the gas cap!!!!! I can't stress this enough. I tried riding my 250 while sitting back and it almost ripped me off the bike. And seeing that you only weight 145 you will need to sit as far up as possible.

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
I agree with the $100 beater idea...and the safety gear!! buy EVERY piece you can, from head to toe...man does it save on broken bones, dislocated joints, and road rash!!!!!!!! whatever you spend on the bike....DO NOT forget to budget for safety gear...one crash on that kx250 can result in so many possibilities....dont skimp on gear, and wear it every time you ride.......I have had the worst crashes at the most unpredictable times......thank God I wore my gear! That kx250 sounds awesome...but really, it is ALOT of bike for a beginner.....the worlds top pros ride 250 class machines, but they didnt start on them.

Top Bottom