Need Bike Advice (Tall, 25yrs, Cruising)

stevcoll

May 6, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'1, 180lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not very aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods and fields (exploring). There's TONS of farmland, fields, and woods around my parents I never have even seen much of it.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
none except bicycle

5) Do you think you will race ?
no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
no

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
no clue, but good MPG would be nice

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Cyclemax in Honey Brook, PA - Honda Dealer

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
maybe a few hours a week? if i really like it more.. but probably not hardcore

10) Do you live in California?
no, pennsylvania

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

-something that's comfortable for my tall height
-quiet as possible. don't want to annoy neighbors (advice?)
-would prefer something that's good quality but isn't overpriced. I don't need bells and whistles but i don't want something that will fall apart either. I'm a computer guy so I would buy a Dell because they are very efficient and make great computers for the price. That's kinda what I'm looking for in a dirt bike.

Any if anyone thinks there's a better vehicle than a dirtbike out there for my purposes let me know! I just though it seemed like the best idea. Not sure I'd like an ATV or Scooter or anything. Thanks in advance for the help!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
stevcoll said:
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
maybe a few hours a week? if i really like it more.. but probably not hardcore

I think the question is intended to find out how much money you plan to spend. There is a wide price range out there, and many models are only manufactured for a few years.

Based on your other answers, I think a Honda XR400 or Suzuki DRZ400 would be a good choice for you. Both are mild mannered, reliable four stroke trail bikes that have enough performance to be entertaining. The Suzuki is water cooled and can be had with electric start.

stevcoll

May 6, 2007
dirt bike dave said:
I think the question is intended to find out how much money you plan to spend. There is a wide price range out there, and many models are only manufactured for a few years.

Based on your other answers, I think a Honda XR400 or Suzuki DRZ400 would be a good choice for you. Both are mild mannered, reliable four stroke trail bikes that have enough performance to be entertaining. The Suzuki is water cooled and can be had with electric start.

oh lol of course.. well i'd like to spend no more than a few thousand but preferably less if i can get away with it.. i am kinda apprehensive about buying used because i don't know anything about dirt bikes.. i'll take a look at your suggestions thanks!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
95xr250 said:
yes a xr but i dont know about a 400 there kinda bad i'd go with a 250
kinda bad?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You'd fit on a standard size bike I'd think.

I'm 6'5'' and I ride a CR125. A bit uncomfortable, but you're 4 inches shorter than I am so you should be fine.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
stevcoll said:
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
no clue, but good MPG would be nice

Don't worry too much about the mpg. Four strokes will definitely do better, but even a small tank 2 stroke will give you a couple hours riding time at the pace you are likely to be going as a beginner. At least when you start riding I bet you will run out of gas before the bike does.

If it is the cost of the gas you are concerned about, don't be. I doubt that you could burn 5 gallons of gas in a day unless you were a really serious rider.

stevcoll said:
-something that's comfortable for my tall height
-quiet as possible. don't want to annoy neighbors (advice?)
-would prefer something that's good quality but isn't overpriced. I don't need bells and whistles but i don't want something that will fall apart either.

If you buy a bike from any of the big manufacturers (Yamaha, Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc.) then you will get a machine that is rugged and capable of taking an incredible amount of abuse.

The major manufacturers offer bikes in two basic categories: MX and "off road". The MX bikes are built for racing and will have high performance engines and typically longer suspension travel. The high compression engines require a premium grade of gas and are a bit harder to start. They also cost a lot more.

The "off road" series of bikes are geared more for the recreational rider. Many models come equipped with electric start and a kickstand is fairly standard (there are a lot of times I wish I had a kickstand!). Pay attention to the seat height, some models are made lower for shorter people, you will want one with a seat height of 35 inches or more.

I would recommend a four stroke model for you. They can be a little harder to kickstart but they are much more forgiving to a novice rider and the noise they make is not nearly as objectionable.

There are a lot of good used bikes out there. In many cases the bikes wear the riders out instead of the other way around. It is not hard to find a bike that has been well maintained and will still have years of service left in it.

stevcoll said:
Any if anyone thinks there's a better vehicle than a dirtbike out there for my purposes let me know!

A quad comes to mind. I am not sure what the terrain is like on this farm you want to explore but an inexperienced rider will do a lot better on a quad than on a bike in many situations. The bike will be superior in rough, narrow trails, but the quad will be easier in soft terrain (sand, mud) or going up really gnarly hills.

I highly recommend riding with a friend. Only being a mile from the house is can be quite a problem if you are lying in a ditch with a broken leg.

Rod

Top Bottom