Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
I'm trying to use the direct cable computer to computer connection that's available with Windows. I'm running Win98 at home and i brought my new laptop home from work to try to transfer some stuff to it (It's running WinXP).

It looked like a simple operation. Set my computer up at host and try to log on with my laptop. But, I get no response out of my home puter when the laptop trys to log on. I've set up home puter at shared drive and file access. And, anything else I could find to allow direct connection.

After a little reading on the subject, there is a link to a website that offers a simple parallel port cable to do the job. Can't you just use a standard 25 pin parallel cable?? How about a null modem converter for it?? I've tried both and neither works. Is the only way to buy this special cable???

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
The standard 25 pin cable won't work as they are a straight through cable. The special cable you mentioned has a couple of wires crossed over. You could get a break-out box and try the combinations until it works......theres a lot of combinations so its probably easier to buy the other cable. You could stick and network card in each Pc and then use a ethernet cross-over cable to directly connect them. This would give much higher transfer speeds.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you use a 9 pin serial cable (i.e. modem cable) pins 2 (transmit) & 3 (receive) need to be crossed rather than straight trough.

So instead of

Pin 2 < -----> Pin 2
Pin 3 < ---- > Pin 3 in the standard modem cable

you end up with

Pin 2 < -----> Pin 3
Pin 3 < ---- > Pin 2 in the new null modem cable.

You can also just add a Null Modem adapter to a standard straight thru serial/modem cable if you don't want to goof around with changing pins.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Would setting up the Connection(LAN) feature in your Internet Options, located in the Control Panel have anything to do with this?

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
If you use a 9 pin serial cable......

I originally wanted to try that. Problem is, I'm a restricted user on my work laptop and the serial port isn't availble. (guess the administrator, my boss, has this feature locked out). Parallel port is only one available for direct connection.

I tried a standard 25 pin parallel cable, then a null modem adapter for it. Still no luck. I'm afraid to try an ethernet connection, even though both have connections. Home puter has an ethernet cable into a cable modem and laptop has standard connection to hook to work network. I'd hate to screw up setting and not be able to get them to work right when not hooked together.

The whole reason for doing this is because since i'm a restricted user, I can't install any software on the laptop. I'm hoping I can just transfer the files from one computer to another and avoid the installation routine that's blocked on the laptop.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Make sure you have a firewall up if your going to leave file and print sharing enabled on your home PC or it won't be long before your sharing data with more than your laptop. I'm not sure about the direct connection as I always just have an extra line setup for my laptop on my home network's router. Good luck

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
If your work uses static IP addressing just hooking it up will not mess with the settings. But, unless you have a router/hub, or crossover ethernet cable this aproach wont work either. How about IR?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Hog - If you have a network card in each of the machines you are trying to connect it's fairly easy to connect the two with a network crossover cable and using a simple app like CuteFTP on your home system. I'd be happy to send you a copy of the software and a crossover cable if it would help.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Hogwylde
The whole reason for doing this is because since i'm a restricted user, I can't install any software on the laptop. I'm hoping I can just transfer the files from one computer to another and avoid the installation routine that's blocked on the laptop.

What software are you wanting to run on the laptop? There isn't much software worth having that will work by just copying all the directories/files. Good Luck!

Top Bottom