HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I'm starting to hate Windows XP.

Two questions:

(1) how can I stop XP from requiring a name and password when looking at othyer computers on a LAN?  The other computers are W2K.  I'm the only XP user.

(2) how can I get the info bar at the bottom of the IE screen to show up?  I like to roll over a hyperlink and see what the address is w/o having to right-click and hit properties.  WTF?

Thanks.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
1. The shares on the other machines might require a user name and password to acess the shares. So they either need to allow anyone to acess those shares through permissions, Or, you need to make sure the user you are logged onto on your XP machine has the same user name and password.... This is just a stab in the dark, I am guessing you are using XP home and not XP professional, Xp home does not have the advanced networking permissions that XP professional does.

2. You may have disable a certain view in I.E. some times installing an update might reset all the setting, but probably not. So try clicking on the view menu on the top bar and see if changiung any of those settings helps you.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I have XP Pro (its a Dell workstation w/ Intel Xeon 2G).  I just don't understand why the W2K Pro computers don't require a password for other W2K computers to access it.

I've tried to enable all of the menu bars and such in IE, I just can't get the info bar at the bottom. 

I guess Microsoft feels the need to change things up to make you feel like your getting something if you upgrade.  What a croc.

b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by HomeMadeSin
I have XP Pro (its a Dell workstation w/ Intel Xeon 2G).  I just don't understand why the W2K Pro computers don't require a password for other W2K computers to access it.

I've tried to enable all of the menu bars and such in IE, I just can't get the info bar at the bottom. 

I guess Microsoft feels the need to change things up to make you feel like your getting something if you upgrade.  What a croc.

Sharing issue:

XP Home uses "Simple File Sharing". Your user ID is being sent to the W2K boxes as "guest". On the W2K boxes make sure the "guest" account is not disabled. (right click "my computer" > manage > local users and computers > users) Make sure there is no red "X" on the guest account. If so, right click on it, and in the properties enable it.

IE issue:

In the menu bar: View > Status bar.

;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom