Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Need Help 1974 Jawa (Pics)

Hi guys. I was hoping someone can give me some info on a bike I have. I'm trying to find out the history, value, if this bike is rare, well any info really.

It's a 1974 Jawa 175cc
It has 2037 miles
Clean Title
On the rear fender there's a sticker: International Six Days Trial
9x World Trophy 12x Silver Vase

I took one picture of the sticker that I'll include here. I can take more pictures of the bike in the morning.

I tried to add a link to the picture but I got an error, Spamkiller, can't add links or something like that so you'll need to copy/paste the address below.

Thanks alot
img220.imageshack.us/img220/7834/tire02444ih5.jpg

Last edited:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
i want to see the whole bike!!!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I don't know much about that particular model, but Jawa is a Czech built bike.

Do a google search and you will find all sorts of info about them.

Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Hi

I tried to use the forums Insert Image feature and [IMG tags] but I get the message below

SpamKiller: Your Post contains one or more links... please remove them before submitting your post.

I see other posts with images so the reason I can't add images is because I'm new I take it right?

I don't know how I was able to post the first image but now I can't link to any images. Can a mod help.

Thanks

Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Hi
Ok I managed to post the two pics by starting them with img.
I was thinking with those stickers (one on each side) maybe a famous racer had this bike at one time? I tried google and I'm able to find some info but maybe I'm not using the right keywords.

img59.imageshack.us/img59/6262/tire24700wz4.jpg
img59.imageshack.us/img59/9034/tire24722ix7.jpg

Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sammy07 said:
I was thinking with those stickers (one on each side) maybe a famous racer had this bike at one time?

Very doubtful. Jawa (aka CZ) was a popular bike for Czech and Eastern European riders in the ISDT during the '70s. I think the stickers were part of their promotional campaign. The '73 ISDT was held in the USA, so I think Jawa/CZ were trying to piggyback on that event for their marketing.

Sounds like a fun old bike. I suspect it is somewhat rare, but sorry, I have no idea if it is valuable.

Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Thanks dirt bike dave.

I had this motorcycle for about 21 or so years now and I think it's time she found a new home. That's why I'm trying to learn all I can about it.

I also have the owners and repair manual for this bike. I should dig those out and maybe find out more info right : )

If anyone has more information I'm all ears.

Thanks

:ride:

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
could be worth a pretty fair amount.
do a lot of looking around, keep an eye on ****. lots of vintage bikes sold there.

maybe also try the vintage enduro group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vinduro/

Me thinks ya should get it running, and keep it. worth more as time goes on.

Jawa/CZ - Jawa did the Enduro and road bikes, CZ name on the MX.

Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Hi Bspeed

Back when I got it I ran around on the trails with it some. I don't think I rode it more than 10 times really. Then I parked it and it's been sleeping all this time.

I'm thinking about cleaning it up, changing oil, battery etc. It would be nice to hear it run again.

Who knows I may still keep it for another 20 years, I've had it this long what's another 10 / 20 years right.

I'll check out that yahoo group, thanks.

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
I dimly remember them. They had a reputation for bulletproof motors and transmissions. A bit heavy, but sturdy and good handling. The Russians, East Germans and Czechs used to kick our butts at the ISDT on these bikes. On these shores, I would think it is somewhat rare. The Jawas were never nearly as popular as their cousin, the CZ motocrosser. Decently restored, you would for sure have a cool seldom-seen bike.
Mike

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
AjayMike said:
The Russians, East Germans and Czechs used to kick our butts at the ISDT on these bikes.

I suspect the factory bikes available to the East Bloc trophy teams were quite a bit more advanced than what Jawa was selling in the USA. I think they did very well in the 250 and 350 class.

It would be interesting to know how many 175's were imported to the USA. Can't be very many.

Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Hi VintageDirt, I came across that site when searching, I bookmarked it.

AjayMike, you said it's a seldom-seen bike, your right. I've so far come across a handful of images/articles on this particular motorcycle. I am slowly but surely learning more about this bike.

Thanks again guys

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I found some names of Czech ISDT riders:

Masita, Cespiva, Zloch, Cisar, Stodulka,

I also found there was only 1 American that rode a Jawa in the '73 ISDE, but he was in the 500cc class.

This link from a German page shows all of the World Trophy ansd Silver Vase winners since 1913. Some of the Czech rider's names from the early '70s are given. Look for CSSR as the country. http://translate.google.com/transla...,+Cespiva,+Zloch,+Cisar,+Stodulka,&hl=en&sa=G

Sammy07

Jul 6, 2007
Hi dirt bike dave

Thanks for the list of riders. I'll do some research and try to narrow down who it can be. Would be cool to contact the rider and let him know his motorcycle is still around.

Value:
What would you say would be a fair price for something like this.
The condition it's in as of now and up to the condition restored with past history?

If you were in the market for one of these bikes what would you buy one for?

Thanks

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I was talking to a friend about the Jawa as he rode for US JAWA(so did Brad Lackey) in '72/'73 aboard his CZ's, he told me they are bullet proff but very heavy and low on power. I also spoke with a few friend regarding value... in really good shape probably $750-$800.
Good Luck with it!

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Enduro_Nut said:
I was talking to a friend about the Jawa as he rode for US JAWA(so did Brad Lackey) in '72/'73 aboard his CZ's, he told me they are bullet proff but very heavy and low on power. I also spoke with a few friend regarding value... in really good shape probably $750-$800.
Good Luck with it!

I will venture to disagree...in "really good shape", gotta be more

One must think how the Jawa enthusiast/collector thinks!

really you should hang on to it, value will get greater.!!

Top Bottom