need help charging a KYB shock, and Gold Valve

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
I ordered a set of Gold Valves for my bike so I can learn a little bit about valving and hopefully have a better settup that the stock suspension is for my YZF450.

I am pretty sure I will be experimenting with different stacks, and will be going into the shock more than once, and paying someone to charge the shock is fine once or twice, but I would like to do this on my own also.

I am pretty sure I can get Nitrogen at work (I know I can get Argon, and have heard this works fine too, but I'll shoot for Nitrogen), but I'm not exactly sure of the best way to charge it. The air chamber is so small, I am pretty sure the pressure will drop a lot while unscrewing the schrader valve. Do I simply get a regulator set at the correct PSI and come off it with a hose and a regular air chuck that can be pulled off the valve quickly, or what?

I would sure appreciate it someone could provide mwe with a photo or sketch of the proper settup.

BTW, is there any other special tools I will need to disassemble /assemble the KYB shock? I have everything to do the forks. I just want to be prepared in advance, as I wont be doing anything until my valves get here, and my collarbone needs a few more days anyhow.

tri-mx'er

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Race Tech has most of the tools you must have, and would like.
They have a shock gauge but you will need to supply the nitrogen and regulator.

The seal head tool is really nice and will save your fingers but not absolutely necessary.

The cartridge and shaft holders are pretty much a must have if you are getting in to the mid valve, as is the tool for the nut on top of the cartridge.

Do a search on your bike at Race Tech and it will list all the tools for your stuff.

Shock Nitrogen Gauge - click here

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom