Need help choosing a 4 stroke 250. WR250, XR250, TTR250 ???

e32lover

May 9, 2007
Hi,

Im new to the dirt bike scene, and have only had limited riding experience, but my mates all ride on a regular basis, and i have decided to join in on the fun.

I have been struggling with what bike to get. I will be using it primarily for trail riding, but want something that i wont out skill anytime soon, hence my decision to get a WR style bike. My only concern with the WR though is that they are maintanance intensive, and i will probably only be riding it about once a month (hopefully more) so i want a bike that will work when i want it to.

I have also been considering the Yamaha TTR 250, as i have heard that they are better begginers bikes, and also that they are more reliable and less maintanance intensive.

There is no point mentioning my budget cos i am in Australia and prices arent really comparable, but lets just say i have enough money for a 2001-2002 model WR250, so any advice on other bikes that would suit my needs for this price range would be great. I have 2 broken cars, and am a full time uni student so i definately dont have time to stuff around fixing the bike, i want something that will most importantly be reliable, but also light, and road legal (the above mentioned bikes are road legal here as well as pretty much any 4 stroke 250cc dirtbike)

Due to my need for reliability and low maintanance i have also been considering the Honda XR250 over the yamaha, also because i could afford to get a slightly newer one then the yamaha.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as i am stuck. My mates just tell me to get a YZ, but i know that is not a good idea for a begginer rider.

)size? about 6 foot 6, 80kg
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Strong but not very aggresive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Trails, a bit of bush bashing, but want to be able to keep up with my crazy mates on their YZ's
4) Do you have any riding experience? Not really, I have ridden a motorbike maybe 20 times in my life
5) Do you think you will race ? No never
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I can but i really dont want to
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 Stroke, no brand preference

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2007
Well, if you wernt so set on a 4 stroke the best possible bike for your situation right now would be a Kawasaki KDX220. It is low matinence and is lighter then most the bikes you listed and cheaper. If you absolutly need a 4 stroke i would also look into the Kawasaki KLX300 and DRZ-250

e32lover

May 9, 2007
I have heard that Kawasaki are not very reliable bikes. I have been leaning towards either a Honda XR250 or an Equivelent Suzuki. Would these bikes suit me?

The reason for my requirement that it be 4 stroke is cos in Australia, it pretty much has to be 4 stroke and at least 250cc to be road reg'd

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd suggest the XR or even a DR250. The XR will still be running several years after the sun burns out. It doesn't require much love to keep it going and there are loads of performance mods available that won't hurt it's long lived reputation. It's not the lightest or the newest design but sometimes that's not what is important.

BTW I checked out Trail Bike Adventure Magazine for the first time this week and it's pretty cool! An Aussie rag with good trail riding coverage. As an added bonus this one had a long adventure ride on a XR & DR 250.

Top Bottom