KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
I have a 99 KDX 200. I want to race amateur motocross tonight with it but found a problem last night. Since its been getting warm I started fouling plugs so I checked the jetting last night and found a 158 main! The guy I bought it off said he tossed the stock main when he bought an FMF K-35. Because the bikes are jetted too rich stock I assumed he went DOWN a size or two not UP several sizes! With the hotter temps (90+) I'm getting spooge everywhere. I moved the needle clip from 3rd to the first clip to try to lean out the mix. I rode the bike until it warmed up in the drive way and it seemed to have better throttle response. It picked up the front wheel alot easier. Question is, can I race this bike as it is or should I skip tonight and wait until I can get some smaller mains and tune it with some WOT (justkdx tuning etc.) readings? It can't be too lean from moving two clip positions, can it? The races are short, two motos which can't be more than 10 minutes each. Should I bag it until next week? Thanks for any info.:think

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The stock main is a 160 on your bike so the previous owner did go down one size, which as you suggested isn’t enough. Given your present temperatures I’d be tempted to pick up a 150, 152 and a 155 to insure you have your bases covered. I’d also check your pilot jet. If need be order a 42 and a 45.

You’ll likely be just fine with the clip in the top clip position especially given your main is quite rich. Before you go riding take the bike for a ride and watch for signs it may be running lean. Watch for a bog when you wick the throttle open, a flat spot then a rush of power etc. If you are at all concerned move the clip to the second from the top position and ride baby ride.

David

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Motocross on my KDX race report.

Thanks Dave, I raced and finished in the top 20 in the first moto. Actually I came in 17th. BTW there were only 17 racers but my goal was to finish without any broken bones. This was an arenacross track and I had only been out of my yard once before (and broke two ribs that day). I took the outside gate to stay out of trouble but got into a mess in the first turn and could never catch anyone. I had a guy tell me that we (old timers) should have a separate class for older racers. I asked how old he was and he said 28. I moved away from that guy before I had to tell him I'll be 40 next year. Anyway after the practice and the first moto my forearms were aching. I almost didn't race the main but the 18 year old kid I came with (his first race and man was he sick) and I decided to go for it. I was asking for advice on the starting gate and found out that the majority of the racers were starting out in 2nd gear. So I gave it a shot and didn't hold back. The KDX almost took a holeshot! I was second going into the first turn into the whoops but went wide and was passed by a couple riders. When I got to the second turn two guys went down in front of me and my front tire was wedged between someones fender and wheel. I stalled trying to pull the bike back and most of the pack pasted me. I then found out why my arms hurt so bad. I was shutting off just as I was going off the jumps causing all of my weight to lurch forward every jump and I was not using my legs to squeeze the bike. As soon as I relized this I started to pass a few guys and started catching some air (more than my average 5 inches). I finished 11th which was better than I expected as I am a little older than most of the other racers, ride a heavier KDX and have never hit a whoop before in my life.
BTW. I picked up a 152 and 155 main and a 45 pilot and will try to do some WOT's before the next race. GO KDX's.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Good for you Dan!!! How awesome is that? I grew up riding a KDX 175 and now have a 220 and I love KDX's. I rode a lot but never raced. So this one's for you for stepping up to the place and doing it. I'm 35 and am now thinking of riding some kind of competition. Maybe an enduro or some kind of MX.

Wished I lived in PA cause I'd love to go riding with you. Look me up if you're ever in San Diego.

Top Bottom