Need help figuring if my engine is still useable 1987 rm250

artistic_gore

Jan 27, 2007
You can skip this paragraph to get to the meat and potatoes if you wish. First off sorry for this being my first post but I recently got an 87 rm250 in trade for an 3 year old laptop. At first I thought I was kind of screwing the guy over since the computer sold for a little over $300 in it's condition but he seemed eager to trade (hindsight is 20/20). Anyways, I looked at the bike and it definately needed work but appeared to be an easy project until I started to tear it down...

I found a spot on the left crankcase right below the sproket that looks as though it was repaired with JB weld and painted to match. I don't want the laptop back and I really do want a bike to kick around on sooo.... what should I be looking for when I tear into the engine? Should I even go that far? Could this have been caused by a chain seperation? Is there positive crankcase pressure on this engine?

Thanks,

Gore

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Dose it run and shift through all it's gears if so you may be able to split the cases and have it tig welded. Yes the chain can cause something like that. On a 2-stroke the crankcase is sealed from the trans and it is in the crankcase that has pos. and neg. pressures. You could look on egay for cases allso. You should get Eric Gorr's book on dirt bikes it will teach you alot. Good luck Ed

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'd run it and ride it first. It's possible that the chain came off and only put a small crack in the tranmission and the JB was used to seal it, which I would think would be fine. You don't want to repair a large hole with it though.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
At Dirtweek 2001, a bike was repaired with JB and it ran for awhile. The biggest problem was the size of the whole that was being repaired and the amount of time that was allowed for the product to setup.
For your situation, read thru the 2 stroke forum, troubleshoot the bike and see if you can get it to run. If it runs and doesn't leak, ride and have fun. If it just seeps, ride it anyway. If it leaks bad, check out some of the bike bone yards and see if you can find a case.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…