mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Someone please help....my son owns a 2002 MXC200...sweet bike...but can't seem to get more than 100 or so miles out of the rear pads. Are there different types of materials for various riding conditions(sort of like SBS)??? Is it possible that he is getting the wrong "type" of pads. Our local moto shop has only recently become a KTM dealer and have not yet gotten the hang of it ...if you know what I mean. I'm an XR rider myself(Honda factory pads last forever) and am not famliar enough with the new addition to the family. Any help would be appreciated!

ktmike55

Apr 25, 2002
mafols
adjust the brake pedal lower so he will be less likely to drag the brakes 100 miles them babys are hot! Shorten the the rod going into the master cyl. give the pedal more travel. dp pads will last a little longer butt there harder on the rotor.
CYA Mike

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Each company does make different types of pads for different conditions. Make sure you get a metalic pad if you expect long life.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Mafols, I think KTM Mike is right on for this one. My ridding buddy has a 2002 520MXC and had the same problem till he adusted his rear brake pedal. He was always riding the pedal and didn't notice it.

How does the rear brake disk look? Is it clean or does it look like it heated up and turned a purple color? If so, thats a sure sign he rides the brakes. I have a 2001 520EXC with the original pads front and rear and am still going strong.

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Another thing you may want to check:

If you have adjusted the brakes at the master cyclinder in such away that you have reduced the engagement free play, you need to make sure that you crack the bleed valve at the slave end and push the brake peddle all the way down. With the brake peddle all the way down, close the bleed valve. This will allow the fluid amount to normalized in the braking system to the required amount for the smaller volume that is created when you make the adustment. Failure to do this creates a situation where the brakes will start to be applied when they begin to heat up. If they get real hot they can lock up the rear wheel.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I like the EBC MX-S which is sinistered for motocross. I had these on my KDX220 when I went to Muenster, Texas and the sand didn't bother them one bit while everyone else wore out their brake pads after the first day ride.

The MX-S is strong material for those that ride in sandy muddy conditions like the Midwest.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I'm with KTM mike and KTM maico. I think you are dragging the rear brake. I do this in trees. Unless you are riding mud, I can't imagine wearing out pads in 100 miles. I get over 1000 out of mine usually.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I use the EBC ones that are made for mud. I get about 100 miles on the rear brakes. But I ride in big mud. Also I ride a 125 and are on the gas or on the brakes. If your brakes last 1000 miles you must not ride the mud or your a ***** who uses the engine to slow down. :p

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I definitely do not drag mine, I mostly ride the front, and after a bit over 100 miles, mine (stock pads)were nothing but the copper backing material. I switched to a sintered metal pad, and so far, riding in sloppy mud, I have about 300 miles on them, and they are over half way gone. BTW the rotor is not discolored at all. From the posts I read here, I assume something is out of adjustment.???

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by el presidente
how have yall made ur brake peddle lower, did u just throw a longer screw in it, and if so any suggestions, getting tired of buying pads once a month

Take a look where the rod goes up into the MC. You'll see a 10mm nut you can loosen and then adjust the rod down.

mainer

Jun 4, 2000
Dunlopad S45 full metalic are the longest lasting pad I've used. I've had good luck with the EBC R pads too, although the dunops seem to go a bit further.

don

Top Bottom