rmchik

Sep 10, 2007
I juss bought a 2001 suzuki rm125,and i dont know how to mix the gas/oil..im suppose to run 40;1 so can anybody tell me how much oil im suppose to add the 5 gallons to make 40;1...Im a girl so dont laugh at me..lol..

rmchik

Sep 10, 2007
I have another ?..What should i put in the crankcase,normal 10w30 motor oil or should i put ATF4,one person told me to put 10w30,and the other told me to put automatic tranny fluid in it so im confussed!!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
There are as many opinions on what to put in the gear box as there are riders... Either will work fine. Just change it often

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Bit of maths comes in for this. You want 40:1 fuel/oil ratio right? Say you've got a 5 Litre gas can, change that 5 Litres into Millilitres > 5000ml

Now, divide that 5000ml into 40 > 125ml

So, you need to mix up 125ml of oil to every 5000ml (5 Litres) of fuel

Measure it out in a jug, add some fuel to this oil, whisk it up for a minute, add this to your gas can with the rest of the fuel in it, give it a good shake for another minute and whack it in your fuel tank. Done.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
rmchik said:
K..so if u got a full quart of oil,u add to the 16 mark to 5 gallons for 40-1.

Yes, 16 ounces into 5 gallons will give the 40:1 ratio. Alot people just buy a pint bottle and just dump the whole thing into a 5 gallon jug, so there is no measuring required.

rmchik

Sep 10, 2007
HAHA..thats kinda of a confussin way to do it,we had a full quart of valvine 2 cycle oil,and i 5 gallon jug,we put the oil in till we hit the 16 mark on the quart then we filled the gas to the 5 gallons mark,i was juss wonderin if that is rite,cuz the mix is really black..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The best way to do it is with the RatioRite cup...

Find the ratio you want to mix, fill to that line and mix.. Simple, no guess work.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
yeah ratio rite cups are awesome for those days the brain isn't working. I suggest you change your tranny oil every 2-3 rides. Don't forget about cleaning you air filter. Get a repair manual if you don't already have one a "clymer" brand manual is good. It will tell you the general maintanance you should be performing. Also stick to one type of pre mix oil. Most important rule though is ENJOY YOUR BIKE

japiel

May 29, 2007
This is how i did it, use the online calculator, then fill the right amount of fuel straight fro the pump into suitable container, add the oil and shake well. Go to speed-sports's website on the net

Alternatively:
40 (litres of fuel):1 (litre of oil)
20 (litres of fuel):0.500 (litres of oil)
10 (litres of fuel):0.250 (litres of oil)
5 (litres of fuel):0.125 (litres of oil)
1 (litres of fuel):0.025 (litres of oil)

Sorry I am from South Africa, we use litres and gallons, but the same method applies

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Jeromeo said:
yeah ratio rite cups are awesome for those days the brain isn't working. I suggest you change your tranny oil every 2-3 rides. Don't forget about cleaning you air filter. Get a repair manual if you don't already have one a "clymer" brand manual is good. It will tell you the general maintanance you should be performing. Also stick to one type of pre mix oil. Most important rule though is ENJOY YOUR BIKE

Hate to break it to you, Clymer manuals suck.

You can get the OEM manual online, pretty cheap.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Dumping in half a quart of premix into 5 gal of fuel is fine to do. Sure, a ratio rite will give you a precise amount of oil, but the difference between the correct measurement of the ratio rite and your eyeballing half a quart into a can will make zero difference in performance and/or protection.

What I'm saying is....don't sweat not having a precise amount of premix.
It seems many obsess over this issue, but there is not much to really worry about, unless you are jetted very close to the edge of too lean...which 99% of riders are not.

The change in relative humidity from a dew covered morning to the sun laden afternoon is far more of a air/fuel change than simply adding/leaving out a few cc's of oil. And unless a rider changes his/her jetting each time such temp/humidity swings take place, then they probably shouldn't obsess about their premix measurements.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Hate to break it to you, Clymer manuals suck.

You can get the OEM manual online, pretty cheap.

hate to break it to you, that's your opinion. I haven't had many problems. I may just get an online manual though.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Jeromeo said:
hate to break it to you, that's your opinion. I haven't had many problems. I may just get an online manual though.

Yes, it is my opinion. Based on the fact that most factory service manuals can be had for roughly the same price as the Clymer manuals, and they tend to be accurate, where Clymer has been known to be just flat wrong on many occasions.

When it comes to something with the capability to kill me, I tend to want the most accurate information I can get.

If you go to http://www.repairmanuals.com you can get a factory service manual pretty reasonably priced.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
haha sweet. Good to know. Usually I use the clymer manual to see a pic of what I am looking for and then I go to town. Do you suggest the repair manual cd's on the auction site or no?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sure, if they are factory service manuals..

But for most yamaha bikes, I would say taking a stroll thru the support section of the Australian Yamaha Motors website might turn up something cheaper.. HINT HINT!

Top Bottom