Need help on possible bike purchase

Noeboy89

Nov 13, 2005
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 5'9@155#
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'm not lazy if thats what you mean.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks and trails
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Riding experience dates back to my Puch 50cc when I was 5 years old.

5) Do you think you will race ?
I would like to try it locally (Iowa)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
After wrenching on my 'velle and goat for 20 plus years...yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2 stroke 125 to start with, brand not important.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
There are 6 or 7 dealers within 50 miles of me. All brands in this 50 mile radius.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Less than $2000 on the first one.
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
not really.

Now that I've told you a little about what I want and want to do here's what I need your help with. I have a friend who has a 1997 kx125 for sale. The bike was raced in '98 and '99, then my friend bought the bike and used it on trails from late '99 until last year. He is really picky and likes his stuff to look new and has replaced anything that looks worn. He is also a freak on how well his stuff runs too. He started it for me but wouldn't let me ride it since it was raining (didn't want to get it muddy). He is asking $1900 for it but said he would sell it to me for $1700. He just put a top end kit on the bike and has ridden it very little since he is building himself a new house. The bike comes with a top end rebuild kit,
2 extra sets of plastics (new),
4 new air filters,
3 new front sprockets,
3 new rear sprockets,
3 new chains,
the original pipe and silencer,
FMF gold pipe and shorty silencer.
I'm waiting for a nicer day so I can go out and ride it. The extras have to be worth at least $200. I'm sure if I present $1500 cash :laugh: he will take it. What do you think? What do I need to look at on the bike that may be a problem?
Thanks,
Terry

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Go for it.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I have to play devil's advocate here. If your price range is around $2000, you could get a 2000-2003 125 for that easily. There's tons in that price range on www.cycletrader.com.

Heck, Mully has a 2005 YZ 125 listed for $3000 on this site (I rode one this summer - awesome bike!). Yes, it's $1300 more than your buddy's bike, but it's 8 years newer and will be worth much more when it comes to resale.

There is also a 2003 YZ 125 listed on this site for $2100 OBO. Another great deal in my opinion.

Plus newer bikes have more updated frames, suspension, motors, etc. and you don't have an 8 year old crank, transmission, clutch, bearings, etc. And don't forget that you may have a harder time finding parts for an older bike.

The only advantage to buying your friend's bike is the extras, and that you trust that the bike has had a good mechanical history.

Noeboy89

Nov 13, 2005
Thanks a bunch. I missed a 2004 yz 125, with a reserve of $2400, on ****, but found out the bike is only 90 miles north of me(bids didn't meet the reserve price) . Yes it was raced too, but I don't personally know the owners like I do the kx owner. Then your also right about the crank, rod, bearings, trans, etc. being 8 years old on my buddy's bike. I'm in no hurry.......yet. I'll check out cycle trader and keep looking also.

Top Bottom