Need Help Quick!

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
The small ones are no prob... I'm talking about the big ones on my linkage. I'm in the middle of a bearing overhaul and can't figure a good way to get this buggers out.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
if you are referring to the bearings, then use a 1/2 all thread with nuts and washers (I also used a socket because it was stronger). Tighten the nut down on the washer/socket to force the bearings out. May have to use some heat.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I'm talking about the clips that are the bearing's last resort from falling out. They are so big that they just bent the fine points of my metal picks, and small enough that a screwdriver can't do the job.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Another question... can I replace these with the type that have the little holes on the end so I can use pliers to get them out next time?

I still didn't get these out yet...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You want to lever the end up and then use a flat blade screwdriver to get under it and prise it out.You may damage the clip but they are cheap and should be repalced.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
That helps marcus, thanks. What do you use to get behind the clip?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Use anything thats pointy and durable!I dont think there is room for a "normal" clip...

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Slo Mo, my apologies, I thought I put something about the circlips in the subject line... duh.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
What can I use to destroy this clip to get it out easier. The edges of the clip aren't really tapered inward, I have nothing to get my picks to 'bite' onto to pry it out. Suggestions?

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
OK. The easy way to remove these clips is:

If it's frozen, get a screw driver and hammer, and place the part in a vice.
Tap the end of the clip to spin it in it's recess.
Position the screwdriver at a 45 deg angle between the recess and the clip.
Tap the small screwdriver with a hammer lightly. The clip will unseat and you can now pry it out.

Note, this method shouldn't be used for pistons or if the recess has a cutout to get a pick behind the clip.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I use a pick at the end of the clip not to pry it out but just to move it away from the wall enough to get an eyeglass screwdriver in there. You can also use a pointed knife blade to only separate the clip from the wall. this is a job where a vise or c clamp is very useful. Clamp the part down so it cannot move and use both hands one with a sharp tool just to separate and the other with the screwdriver to pry out. If you are trying to pry with a tool that is small enough to wedge it is probably small enough to bend or snap.

snap rings will not work instead of circlips because the cross section of the circlip is round while the snap ring is square. Niether one would set in the others groove properly.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Well that sucks, but you are right. I have them in and I don't think they are going anywhere, but I might as well ask this question. Where do you get circlips? home depot only had snap rings....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…