Need help seting up my suspension!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Just picked up a very clean 98' RM 250 and was wondering how to setup my suspension. We have alot of long rolling whoops, and i prefer my setup for trail riding. I'm about 5'8" 145 lbs, the bikes suspension is stock from what I know. It was setup very stiff when I got it for motocross I am guessing... Just tryin to figure out how many turns of the screw I need to soften it up enough.
Also bled the air out of the forks, that might help a bit hopefully!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
your adjusters are for fine tuning your suspension after setting it up right. your not going to change a set of forks from supercross to trail riding with the adjusters. At your weight your springs are more than likely too stiff and valving needs to be changed to get a more trail riding suspension out of a stock stiff set up.

like mine, I don't race anymore and try not hitting huge jumps so on this bike I did some valve work and took out my mid valve and added a little more oil to the outer chamber. I love it for trails.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you don't want to revalve at least look into springs. If that's not possible a fluid change would be the next most important thing. At least get the oil freshened and the level proper before trying to tune the clickers.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Yes the front tire was off the ground when i bled the air out of the forks. The bike feels much better and more stable through the long rolling whoop section. It was so bad before that i felt pain up my spine from the impact on even small bumps! Also would cutting the bars a bit shorter help me keep them more stable?

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
1998RM250 said:
Also would cutting the bars a bit shorter help me keep them more stable?

for a shorter person it will because your arms arent' spread so wide. for a taller person it might not as much. I'm 5'6" and always cut an inch off both sides. some cut even more off.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The width of your hands to do the most amount of push ups. Then measure the width! Super secret: when you go into a corner guess what, you should be doing a push up!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys the screws on the dampening (bottom of forks) were backed almost all the way out... Would i want to give them a few turns in to see how it does? When i hit small sharp bumps my forks don't respond very well and the bike pounds/darts, any ideas?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
In the manual it will tell you exactly how many turns from all the way in for stock. Or clicks. I would turn it all the way in, lightly seated. Then back it out 6 clicks or turns? Spun all the way out? That is not good! I would check the rest of the adjustments!!!

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
1998RM250 said:
Hey guys the screws on the dampening (bottom of forks) were backed almost all the way out... Would i want to give them a few turns in to see how it does? When i hit small sharp bumps my forks don't respond very well and the bike pounds/darts, any ideas?

The clickers on the top are the Compression, Bottom is rebound. I would back the comp all the way OUT (CCW). Set the rebound to the mid point (10 clicks?).

Increase the shock sag (lower rear of bike) to help reduce any swapping. The RM's are twitchy when set-up to their best...

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Thanks again, i will try it out today in a few minutes. I've never had a bike that put a beating on me just riding through grass hitting small ruts! :bang:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
with such small bumps maybe the problem is not the tune (either spring or damping) but a condition problem (big clearance in the bushes, bad seals, etc...)

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
XXX Adrenaline Spo said:
hey 1998rm250 where do you ride?? crooms? Im in Gainesville, we outta hook up & ride together.
Oh BTW are you an FTR Member?
Stuart

Wheres crooms at? I ride these trails/ tracks out on the undeveloped roads in noth porth. Theres some good ridin out here, but quite a trip from gainesville!

Top Bottom