krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
my 01 220 started leaking fork oil out the bottum of the tube, and it is not coming from the valve area.

I don't know any thing about this type of fork so is there a seal or o ring at the bottum of the tube, and if so do I need any special tools to take the fork apart.

buy kawasaki.com parts diagrams don't show anything that would leak in this area, but I know the oil is coming out around the inner and outter tube next to the lower valve adjuster.

o'yea this started after landing a large jump hard on the front wheel, don't ask it was stupid.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If I understand what you are saying it sounds like the fork is leaking from between the fork leg and the base valve. The base valve is sealed via a copper washer between the base valve and fork leg. It may be loose and need to be tightened. To tighten the valve compress the forks to prevent the damper rod from turning (you can normally use whatever set-up you use for transporting the bike) then retorque the base valve. Hopefully that will stop the leaking.

David

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
Thanks David that helped stop one leg from leaking.

The left leg hit a rock when I landed from that crazy jump, and the kawasaki shop found a crack in it today.

But thanks again for your help with the other one, and if any one needs to know you need a tool called a" fork bolt holder" to take the tubes al the way apart, it was nine dollars american from the local dealer.

Top Bottom